Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
If you had a safe place to do so,
Would it be feasible to leave the lid off and allow it to evaporate?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Never do that, the fluorine can contaminate the ground and vegetation, and the little cloud that forms (sane as hydrochloric) makes it pretty obvious something bad is happening.

Just do it right.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
I think the disposal places neutralize it first then put it into a hazmat location.

These days, it could be useful to an acid reprocessing facility. Tough to say.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
Actually, power washing would be the easiest one to use it, the technical requirements are lax compared to other uses. 25 gallons should be enough for thousands of gallons of wash solution.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
Yes, but it doesn't tell you how much to use and how much 50lbs will neutralize. I'm sure it depends on it molar strength so it might be difficult to determine.
That's all made for spill clean up, so it has a built in phenothalein type indicator. Once you get it all sopped up, it still has to go for hazardous waste disposal, but you just paid a lot of money to make more pounds of hazardous waste.

No information on how much you'd have to order. As you noted.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
Transport is typically by someone with a CDL with HAZMAT endorsement and placarding. I'm guessing it would be placed in a big tub for spill containment.

I'm not sure what the regs would be for a private citizen not using a commercial truck.

No way would I be bear hugging this. Plastic containers degrade over time. It can take a long time, even out in the sun.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,879 Posts
Seriously, last ditch would be contact the manufacturer, tell them you get nothing form state and private companies, and ask them how to get rid of their product, will they just take the stuff back. Hopefully their PR people get involved, since you're being responsible. If not, they'll love a call from the reporter doing the story of how nobody steps up to the plate to protect life and the environment except you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts