Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the flip house we just sold, the previous owner left behind 35 gallons of hydrofluoric acid. I removed it from the house before the buyers moved in, as I didn't want it left there for their 5 children to access. Figured I would call my county recycle place, and they would direct me how to deal with it.

Fast forward, one month, dozen phone calls, and a few emails, and it still sits in my garage, as nobody knows what to do with it. I am reaching out to you guys, to see if anyone knows a profession that may be able to put this stuff to good, safe use. According to Google, the main use is in refrigeration, but it is also used to etch metals. I only want to move this stuff one final time, as the 25 gallon container is awkward and heavy, not to mention extremely hazardous.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked into neutralizing it, but you guys are correct that only small amounts at a time. A chemical engineer friend in working to find a solution also, and has told me this stuff is really bad, so not sure I wanna be pouring, mixing, etc. I think Joe Ordinary Citizen would make one phone call and then abandon it somewhere. I am no tree hugger, but wanna do the right thing. Shouldn't be this hard.

Robies link is in Texas. One place I called was gonna let me drop it off, but heir closest location was 250 miles from me (Ohio).

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Call your local college chemistry professor.
Call your local fire department and ask for the supervisor for the hazmat response team.
Call poison control.

Edit: If none of those work try Facebook marketplace or as a last resort craigslist.
Son in law is a firefighter, he was no help. Customer of mine is a chemical engineer. He got involved a couple days ago, and is currently looking for a solution through his contacts. It just blows my mind that I have worked so many avenues, and am not even close to a solution.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I can't believe you moved it once!

If no solution is available, built a big box around it, fasten that box to the concrete floor, and sell the house as is. Not your problem any more.
Didn't know quite as much when I moved it, ignorance is bliss I guess. I did wrap it with a moving blanket, and was wearing long sleeves. No regrets, as I would be beside myself if one of those kids got exposed. It is hard to pick up, as the container has a handle on top, but trying to lift it that way puts pressure on it and it wants to gurgle out. I just bear hugged it and lifted it into my truck. Probably about 200 pounds. Didn't want to lift it from the floor again, so now it is sitting on my Keter table so I can grab it one more time and shift it into my van.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bet you a dozen donuts that if you had called the fire department when you first discovered it the city would’ve taken possession of it and it would be their problem. (Cause lawyers, they would’ve taken it because of the liability if they didn’t.)

it blows my mind that you stumbled across 35 gallons that someone abandoned!!! Maybe you’ll have the same luck when buying lottery tickets lol.
This house was full of stuff. The guy worked as a mortician, owned a print shop, and his wife did catering at some point. Found a bunch of embalming fluids, print type set, glassware, co2 cannisters, and tons of other misc furniture etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My first call was to my county recycle program. You can bring stuff in once a week for about half of the year. They said with HF, they could only take 5 gallons and it had to be in the original container. I explained my situation, and they gave me three phone referrals. One was out of state, one was commercial only, and the other has failed to follow up, even when I pressed "1" for hazardous chemical spill.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm still stuck on the "I bear hugged it and lifted it into my truck and now it is on a teetering Keter table and might fall over at any time." line.

That's crazy town stuff right there.

I paraphrased a bit, but that's where I'm stuck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
That Keter is fine, no teetering. I just wanted it at waist height for my next and final lift. Former owner is in his 80's and probably didn't remember it being there. With all the junk in the basement, I wasn't sure what it was until way later. My chemical engineer friend says he is still on it. He talked with some of the higher ups at county recycle, and they weren't able to help. I will give him a little time before I start calling up folks who can use it. I agree about the liability of handing it off to someone else. Trying everything in my power to handle this properly.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Amazing the chit we do to make a nickel. It’s not even an actual depression and this guy is bear hugging 200 lbs of acid out of a basement.

Hardcore Warren! I guess I’ll mail @Jaws my 400 pounds of ammo and just consider myself zombie meat when the **** hits the fan. It’s mostly 5.56 so his girls are set. Lol

How do you say BIG balls in Spanish? Grande bolas.

I’m adding abandoned acid to my list of fears.
1. Rabies
2. Acid
Not sure where you read I was doing this because of money. That never plays in. Go back and read what I said. I removed it so the next folks, with children would not be left to deal with it. Despite the hassles, I am glad I did. If I would have made calls once I realized the dangers, it would likely still be sitting there. Carrying it out of the basement was no big deal, other than the weight. Was the best plan under the circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I doubt it would be over $1000, dude made a killing on his flip so just write it off the profit. Shlt like this is a risk we take being in business for ourselves.

I’ve had way bigger unforeseen expenses than this.
Not sure about making a killing on the flip, but in my mind that doesn't relate to this anyhow. I would spend a grand if needed, but I can't imagine Joe Shmo homeowner would spend anything, nor make more than one or two calls before abandoning this. This is a failure of our system. Like I said earlier, I am gonna hold tight until I hear that my Chem friend has exhausted his contacts. After that I will probably call some of the links you guys shared here.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Not many places are going to take that and use it unless you can verify it is what you think it is, it's age and its purity.
I am not sure what it is used for but imagine putting that in say a power washer or other machine and it screws up the machine and whatever you were doing.
"Where did you get it ? Some guy who had it in the garage"
I agree. Not to mention passing on the liability. I am still baffled that no one in authority has acted on this. They all will acknowledge the seriousness, just not offer any solutions other than passing the ball to the next entity, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Robie

I did call Clean Harbors. Kept forwarding me from one person to another. Eventually ending in email contact that quickly stopped responding. Initially, I had to go through their voice menu, only to get cut off at the end. I finally called, and pressed "1" indicating an emergency spill. That operator just took my number and email, then barely any follow up.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Still own it. One of my original emails got forwarded to a local company. They reached out earlier this week, and sent a guy out Tuesday to test it. Smaller container is a solution referred to as Sparkle wash, which is a power wash solution that contains a small amount of acid. Bigger container is a medium strength hydrofluoric acid, and he said he would get me a price to remove it. Crickets since then.

My Chem engineer buddy asked me to text him pics of the labels last week. No word back from him yet either.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
So, after several email/phone exchanges with the local company, they stopped responding. Last they left it, they couldn't deal with it in a residential setting.

A friend of mine, who used to work for the health department, suggested I call the Ohio EPA. Today I called them, and it is more of the same. They were quick to call me back, but offered the same suggestions that I have heard before. Sounds like I will be reaching out to some in the metal industry, as well as the local Universities, and see if someone may be able to use this.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I was a bit hesitant about calling the EPA. In the back of my mind, I think they may try to follow up with me later to see how I settled this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts