Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the flip house we just sold, the previous owner left behind 35 gallons of hydrofluoric acid. I removed it from the house before the buyers moved in, as I didn't want it left there for their 5 children to access. Figured I would call my county recycle place, and they would direct me how to deal with it.

Fast forward, one month, dozen phone calls, and a few emails, and it still sits in my garage, as nobody knows what to do with it. I am reaching out to you guys, to see if anyone knows a profession that may be able to put this stuff to good, safe use. According to Google, the main use is in refrigeration, but it is also used to etch metals. I only want to move this stuff one final time, as the 25 gallon container is awkward and heavy, not to mention extremely hazardous.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Contact a hazmat company after dropping it off the side of the road that is if you don't die transporting it.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,614 Posts
Dilute it by S. L. O. W. L. Y. Pouring water into it.

😳

Sorry I’m not being helpful. 🤣

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Can you mix it with some kind of equivalent base and therefore neutralize it into a salty compound that can be safely poured back onto the earth

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,168 Posts
You could call these guys who sell it and ask for their advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked into neutralizing it, but you guys are correct that only small amounts at a time. A chemical engineer friend in working to find a solution also, and has told me this stuff is really bad, so not sure I wanna be pouring, mixing, etc. I think Joe Ordinary Citizen would make one phone call and then abandon it somewhere. I am no tree hugger, but wanna do the right thing. Shouldn't be this hard.

Robies link is in Texas. One place I called was gonna let me drop it off, but heir closest location was 250 miles from me (Ohio).

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,047 Posts
That's the trouble with recycling some stuff. They want you to do it, but provide no place for it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
198 Posts
In the flip house we just sold, the previous owner left behind 35 gallons of hydrofluoric acid. I removed it from the house before the buyers moved in, as I didn't want it left there for their 5 children to access. Figured I would call my county recycle place, and they would direct me how to deal with it.

Fast forward, one month, dozen phone calls, and a few emails, and it still sits in my garage, as nobody knows what to do with it. I am reaching out to you guys, to see if anyone knows a profession that may be able to put this stuff to good, safe use. According to Google, the main use is in refrigeration, but it is also used to etch metals. I only want to move this stuff one final time, as the 25 gallon container is awkward and heavy, not to mention extremely hazardous.
I also have a 5 gallon bucket of hydrofluoric acid, but not by accident. In commercial & industrial pressure washing it's used primarily for aluminum brightening, and to a lesser extent, fleet washing. Contact a local pressure washing company, (one who does commercial work), and they'll gladly take it off your hands.

·
Punching above his weight
12,647 Posts
I can't believe you moved it once!

If no solution is available, built a big box around it, fasten that box to the concrete floor, and sell the house as is. Not your problem any more.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Call your local college chemistry professor.
Call your local fire department and ask for the supervisor of the hazmat response team OR the Fire Chief.
Call poison control.
Edit: If none of those work try Facebook marketplace or as a last resort craigslist.

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Call your local college chemistry professor.
Call your local fire department and ask for the supervisor for the hazmat response team.
Call poison control.

Edit: If none of those work try Facebook marketplace or as a last resort craigslist.
Son in law is a firefighter, he was no help. Customer of mine is a chemical engineer. He got involved a couple days ago, and is currently looking for a solution through his contacts. It just blows my mind that I have worked so many avenues, and am not even close to a solution.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts