Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to let SEO people know that C.T. is not a safe place to post phony claims?

We've observed a few one-and-done SEO posts on C.T. recently. A contractor gets a new web site (complete with phony pictures) and an SEO contractor posts the pictures in one of the remodeling threads ("The homeowners in Springfield loved this new kitchen! Enjoy!".) We (Greg) figure out that the pictures in the post are phony, along with most of the other pictures on the contractor's web site. If they're smart or paying a little attention, someone (the contractor or the SEO guy) edits or removes the original post.

If you buy into SEO, you're also betting on the web generally. Users are going to find your post on C.T. and read the ridicule about your phony, false advertising.

This is not anti-SEO thinking. I post under my real name, and while I don't post primarily for SEO effect, I may get some SEO benefit.

Seems like we'd be doing ourselves and the SEO guys a favor if we let them know that C.T. is not a safe place to post phony claims.

Edit: Maybe it's not worth doing anything about it. We (Greg) do seem to get some enjoyment out of uncovering the frauds.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I tested signature links for various keywords and the links didnt do anything. The seo benefit here is very faint. it is good for the link profile especially if you are trying to do keyword correction, but other than that it is irrelevant unless you brand the post for relevancy and or traffic.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
Is there any way to let SEO people know that C.T. is not a safe place to post phony claims?

We've observed a few one-and-done SEO posts on C.T. recently. A contractor gets a new web site (complete with phony pictures) and an SEO contractor posts the pictures in one of the remodeling threads ("The homeowners in Springfield loved this new kitchen! Enjoy!".) We (Greg) figure out that the pictures in the post are phony, along with most of the other pictures on the contractor's web site. If they're smart or paying a little attention, someone (the contractor or the SEO guy) edits or removes the original post.

If you buy into SEO, you're also betting on the web generally. Users are going to find your post on C.T. and read the ridicule about your phony, false advertising.

This is not anti-SEO thinking. I post under my real name, and while I don't post primarily for SEO effect, I may get some SEO benefit.

Seems like we'd be doing ourselves and the SEO guys a favor if we let them know that C.T. is not a safe place to post phony claims.

Edit: Maybe it's not worth doing anything about it. We (Greg) do seem to get some enjoyment out of uncovering the frauds.
Bob, it's tough for the mods to catch every impostor and phony. The best way to deal with them is to report the thread or post and any helpful info on it that you have. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, it's tough for the mods to catch every impostor and phony. The best way to deal with them is to report the thread or post and any helpful info on it that you have. :thumbsup:
Thanks. ... or do what we've been doing, which is to notice the stock photos and comment appropriately.

- Bob

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
With the way SEO works (my feeble understanding of it) it will help hurt them if we all do our part in commenting on their post with keywords like bad work, dishonest, hack, etc. Oops, now that's next to my name! Good thing my business is all from work of mouth!

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
It seems the cycle of bad SEO info never ends and there's always someone buying into it and posting crap thinking they'll have some kind of gain. Poetic justice is the actual result. People treat Google as if Google stupid never realizing their "cleverness" is their stupidity.

I moderate for a business forum so I have some idea what the mods go through here. This place is kept pretty tidy so the forum has a better signal to noise ratio. The same drive by's that swoop down here are flinging their dung elsewhere too. Any forum where it sticks says something about the quality of that forum.

They gain nothing but that doesn't prevent them from trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts