Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Silverado 2500HD LT, it has on-star and CD, mp3 player with Sat radio. I like how directions show on the LCD of the stereo when using on-star. but I would like to at some point upgrade to an aftermarket stereo. but if I do that I don't want to get one that loses this capability. is there one of those touchscreen nav stereo systems that will work with my current features while giving me the new ones? basically still have the onstar sourced directions still show on screen if I don't use its built in nav? I would like to have another nav system I can operate inside the truck without calling onstar. What I really like about the onstar is I can send the directions to my truck via my phone or ipad.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm not sure what your radio looks like. I looked into upgrading mine in my 2005 monte carlo. Yours is probly a little more advanced then mine being its an 05.

I believe they make interface harnesses so you can mount your old radio under the seat or behind it or where ever you want so you can still use the features. If you have steering wheel controls they also make a harness for the aftermarket radio to hook into those too.

That being said, I never changed mine out. I said screw it, too much hassle.

That's about all I know about that:laughing:

Dave

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to have a nav that I can see traffic on. My factory one is awesome don't get me wrong. I just wish it had the same system my Caddy has. In the Caddy I can see traffic on all the roads in my vicinity.

As it stands my Nav is sent to me on my radio through Onstar. But it doesn't have traffic. I searched everywhere when buying this truck, the only truck in my year that came with that system was the duel cab I believe it's the XLT. My truck that has a full size bed that is a regular cab is an LT, which came pretty much loaded but not the traffic.

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BCConstruction said:
I would just get a decent unit and get rid of on star. Use the GPS on your phone linked to the head unit or a unit with Nav built in. Who wants to be monitored when their driving anyway.
It doesn't monitor me Per Se, it is sent to my radio through an app on my phone. It's completely automated. No live person unless you push the button and ask the Onstar operator. Which I've done often when I'm driving.

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think your right BC I should ditch the Onstar that I pay 300 bucks a year for and get a really good quality all in one. Ok any suggestions on a unit?

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BCConstruction said:
If you stick to apine, pioneer, sony, kenwood etc etc you can't go wrong. They do a lot of stuff through your phone these days too.
I put a Kenwood multimedia center in my other truck paid 1000 bucks for the unit. I hate that thing. It's always locking up and is slower then the slowest PC you'll ever use. It has to pause between each function.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I put a Kenwood multimedia center in my other truck paid 1000 bucks for the unit. I hate that thing. It's always locking up and is slower then the slowest PC you'll ever use. It has to pause between each function.
I had the first ever flip screen touch screen one they did and it was awesome. Never had issues with it. Def not the fastest between clicking buttons but these days they are vastly more powerful. They make kits where you can install I pad into your car now.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I love my OnStar. If I can't find a specific place, or if I am looking for general places I just hit the button and ask.
I was in Manassas, VA two weeks ago and my wife wanted to go to Whole Foods to eat. I just hit the OnStar button and asked them where is the nearest Whole Foods?
She said there is one here...."I'll download that into your GPS".

Just bought a used Land Rover this weekend and I wish I could get an OnStar FMV for it but it isn't available.

·
Super Moderator
44,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TimNJ said:
I love my OnStar. If I can't find a specific place, or if I am looking for general places I just hit the button and ask. I was in Manassas, VA two weeks ago and my wife wanted to go to Whole Foods to eat. I just hit the OnStar button and asked them where is the nearest Whole Foods? She said there is one here...."I'll download that into your GPS". Just bought a used Land Rover this weekend and I wish I could get an OnStar FMV for it but it isn't available.
Yes that is the system I use now. It is nice, but it should be for 300 a year. My thinking I will probably own my truck for 7 or 8 years, that's 2400 bucks. That could by a very good aftermarket unit. I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.