Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What old work boxes do you guys prefer/user.

I HATE all of them, with the least being the Arlington Metal Ones. You have get the tension on the screw just right, to minimize blowout. I HATE the fact there is a sharp screw in the area of the cavity, but it produces the most flush mount you get versus the raised affect you get with the plastic tabbed ear boxes.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
What old work boxes do you guys prefer/user.

I HATE all of them, with the least being the Arlington Metal Ones. You have get the tension on the screw just right, to minimize blowout. I HATE the fact there is a sharp screw in the area of the cavity, but it produces the most flush mount you get versus the raised affect you get with the plastic tabbed ear boxes.
You don't get a raised effect once the wall plates are on.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
You don't get a raised effect once the wall plates are on.
I've had several instances where a light or a certain plate won't quite cover the tabs. Especially the round ones that I have to use due to the way the light has to be installed. The light might have an oval base and won't quite cover the box.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
You talking about just metal, or all of them?

I've never had an issue with plastic remodel boxes. The standard blue Carlon ones.

Delta

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
It depends on what you get and where you go to get them. If you go to a big box store and pay less than $1 per box, you aren't going to be happy with the results. I admit that I use those cheap ones sometimes but when it really matters, I'll go to my supply house and get the old work boxes that cost $3-$4 each.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this in the low voltage forum so I presume we are talking the same thing.
I don't like any of them as per the OP, but if I had to use one

I like these

I don't like these

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
Oh. :blink:

Now it makes sense.

I didn't know I was in the LV section. Don't usually go there.

Maybe it was all the wine last night. :blink:

Delta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts