Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what we tore out.

This is what we put back in.

I can't decide if it was an improvement or not.

Got paid and they are happy, but I'm not sure I like it better.

Any one with a thought?

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
The old one is much better in my opinion, but since it is not mine or yours, it really doesn't matter what we think. Did the customer like the new one?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
If I was paying.
The before.
Since I'm not.
The one with the check attached. :laughing:

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's what they asked for, they said the old one didn't match the decor of the house.

No one has ever accused me of being a fashon designor, but I bet I can sell more fireplaces with pics of the old vs. the new.

Here is a pic of the one they had in the house they sold, told me to match as much as I could.

We had to downsize quite a bit, this one was about 12 feet across and 5 deep.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timbers made a nice fire I'm sure.

I thought maybe it was just me, now I know you guy's are all screwed up.:w00t:

Since HO is president of the bank I am going with his taste.:laughing:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think you did an excellent job capturing the original style. I would of rather had a larger firebox and definitely of centered it. It's obviously better than the old fireplace. Why they wanted the firebox disproportional is beyond me. It's a real good replica though, I think it's matched even though it's not absolutely left or right. Looks like you nailed it. Reminds me of comparing a 30in tv to a 60in tv. I bet they feel like they brought their fireplace with them.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would of rather had a larger firebox and definitely of centered it. .

Original plan was to leave box alone and just close it in. After the gas line was stubbed in and we started building it up, the wife says she wants it all new.

I moved the side wall as close to the gas line as I could and that determined the position that is slightly off center, but not a big deal.

Gas log was going in and probably not be used but three times a year.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I vote for old, but like everyone else said, the best one is the one you get paid for. I liked the warming/cooking shelf in the old one. Never seen that.
I keep telling myself I'm going to cook something in my fireplace one of these days....never do.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The new one needs a mantle, some doors, stockings, and tools and it will look great. The old one looks like it was backdrafting because it was too tall and had a seat on the side. Might be ok for santa but hard to fit doors to.

·
The Brains
210 Posts
for me the old one by far. i love big old fireplaces. ugotroomforabigburn in em o yeah. u did a nice job though:thumbsup:

·
The Brains
210 Posts
i prefer the older one but love big old fireplaces. ucangetagoodburn in em o yeah. u did a nice job though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
That shelf was not for excess fuel? :jester:

I really waswondering why that shelf was there. Anyway, I was thinking of the decor also as to which was better looking.
All said and done, I have to agree with the one with the check attached.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I'll echo most everyone else, Old, hands down, but like you said, the paycheck is the final word on which is better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts