Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss is finishing up the trim on a master bedroom renovation. However, I am prepping and painting and the door jam and casing for the entry door of the room is the original old trim. It has gashes, peeling paint, and almost a whole 3 inch x 3inch x 1/4 deep strip up top from one of those over the door hangers.

I am painting the room. I know how to use wood, filler, spackle, caulk, sand paper, scouring pads, wire brush, scrapers, etc.

This one entry will end up taking longer to get it up to snuff than the entire room of fresh trim to prep prime and paint.

My biggest issue is after scraping and sanding loose paint, how do you quickly deal with the inconsistencies in surface between the peeled/chipped sections and the remainder? On the jams its easy cause they are flat but how about in the intricate bead work of the casing?

Will XIM trim magic help me in my quest or is it not worth my time. Never used it personally.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
This isn't really your call to make imo. The level of finish is/should be specified in the contract.

If the homeowner wants the old trim to look like new trim it is usually much more effective cost effective to just remove and replace.

So if the prep is spec'd in the contract do it. If it's not it's a change order that should be run through your boss so he can collect the $ he's owed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This isn't really your call to make imo. The level of finish is/should be specified in the contract.

If the homeowner wants the old trim to look like new trim it is usually much more effective cost effective to just remove and replace.

So if the prep is spec'd in the contract do it. If it's not it's a change order that should be run through your boss so he can collect the $ he's owed.

/agree

I'd also like to add that if the trim is gouged up real bad, it's usually easiest just to match it and replace it. All the wood filler in the world can't make seriously gouged trim look like new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts