Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks.
I may get a job that has slate roof(20square-some cracked and leaking), with box gutters on a 12/12 hip-hip roof. Plus, 1x6 decent wood planks underneath.

My main concern is with the worthless box-gutters and their decision of removal. I would recommend removing them, but I don't think they want to pay for new gutters. I was also wondering about the hassle with taking them down and what might be underneath or added to get at least facia put on.

On the last note: I believe they think the box-gutters can be left on and put new shingles where old slate was and be fine.

It's an old-old rehab house in a not so nice neighborhood, just to let you get an idea of the situation. (Sorry, I accidentally deleted pics of roof)

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Whats lining the gutters?
It's possibly from the early 1900s. It looks like a tar type substance.
They're about 12'' wide, center sloped with downspouts in the middle.
I wish I still had the pics of them.
BTW, I couldn't get the pic from internet to work in the URL box to post one that was almost identical.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Are the cracked?

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Tar like substance is a patch.

It's probably tern metal.

I have a real problem giving this advise, just because...

It sounds like "what the budget will allow" is:

Pulling the slate, plane over the box gutter with rips of plywood, install K style gutters, on the fascia and re-roof.

Cartoon Facial expression Yellow Line art Clip art

( I think I just "repurposed" my soul, in suggesting that. )

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the cracked?
Nope. However, The trim that makes the boxes have seen their day.

Pulling the slate, plane over the box gutter with rips of plywood, install K style gutters, on the fascia and re-roof.

View attachment 115205

That could be a way to go. One reason, I don't think they'll like the price of tearing them down. As I mentioned above... The wood and trim on the boxes have places falling apart, but maybe solid enough to add around a facia board to mask the existing.

Good backup plan you mentioned, Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 115205

Your idea on the rips of plywood could be done a few ways, now that you mention it.LOL (As in size of rips)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don't mention it.

No, I mean it!

Please don't mention you got this idea from someone else.

I want no part of this.
But, But, you could've became a rich man just off this idea.
Anyhow, I'll try to talk them into tearing them down or at least the most seen sides of house and see how it goes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We run into these type of houses quite often, it's cheaper to line the hidden gutter with EDPM than removing them. Unless the rot is so bad they would have to be re built anyway. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We run into these type of houses quite often, it's cheaper to line the hidden gutter with EDPM than removing them. Unless the rot is so bad they would have to be re built anyway. Good luck!:thumbsup:
It would be the first roof I've done with an off the normal solution. Plus, it's almost 3 stories high and only 8' from a neighboring house.

I'm glad to know of some alternatives I can bring up for their cheapness.
Thanks, everyone.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
ObuckiO said:
But, But, you could've became a rich man just off this idea.
Anyhow, I'll try to talk them into tearing them down or at least the most seen sides of house and see how it goes.
No, I have become a comfortable man, who sleeps well at night, turning down jobs like these.

Maybe when the neighborhood turns around, your work may be reverted back to the original box gutters.

I understand, everybody's got to start somewhere.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I have become a comfortable man, who sleeps well at night, turning down jobs like these.

Maybe when the neighborhood turns around, your work may be reverted back to the original box gutters.

I understand, everybody's got to start somewhere.

Good luck man!
That was sarcasm.
You're assuming things that has nothing to do with this job. Maybe you shouldn't take on some threads like this either. Sleep tight, Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like it, they are a PITA no matter what route you go.:jester:
My brother-in-law bought this old house and most likely made a bad decision in doing it. I was asked by my sister about helping him with a few things on it, not a career starter Tenon assumes.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
ObuckiO said:
That was sarcasm.
You're assuming things that has nothing to do with this job. Maybe you shouldn't take on some threads like this either. Sleep tight, Thanks.
No sarcasm in this post.

Left that in the previous posts.

I sincerely wish you well with this project.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts