Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a project in Cincinnati that involves refinishing some old 5/16th x 1 1/2" floors and installing some new floors of the same dimension. The older floors need to be carefully sanded with a hand sander because the last sanding did some serious gouging and using a floor sander again would be very risky.

The new floor design was done by the home owner. He used some existing floor patterns as his guide. Still have more to do and I'll post pictures as I wrap things up next week.

Attachments

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
nice carpentry. i like wedge idea on the beginning courses.

not sure i agree about the risk of using floor sanding equipment on a floor though. top nail floors have no tonque that can split off. you can sand to about an 1/8 (not ideal) before the fasteners start to fail. if the floor has lots of cigars (divots from the drum sander starting or stopping incorrectly) sand it on the 45 to begin with.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,504 Posts
Sweet project. Never seen the corners done like the last pic, but I really like it. Made some mental notes & filed it away for a future project hopefully.

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet project. Never seen the corners done like the last pic, but I really like it. Made some mental notes & filed it away for a future project hopefully.
It works really well for out of square rooms. You can make that boarder any size you want. :thumbsup:

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm intrigued by the use of top nails. Is this something you often do? I happen to like it.
With this type of flooring, yes. It's a traditional method with 5/16th square edge. You do need to use a dead blow nail gun though. A few other installers were going to use a 15 ga. trim nailer and that won't hold these floors down well. It also wont seat the wood tight to the sub floor.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've repaired floors that are pretty old, but never seen that style of fastening. Do you know when tongue and groove flooring started to be used?

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've repaired floors that are pretty old, but never seen that style of fastening. Do you know when tongue and groove flooring started to be used?
My house is from the 1880s and it has original t&g floors. Matchers (used to make flooring and siding) were common place by the late 1860's.

I have seen that kind of flooring, thin butted floor was common in the 1920's.

That floor style does not pre date t&g flooring. Wide planks with face nails pre date T&g flooring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts