Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this old shabby looking wooden box for sale yesterday. $100 for the box and the tools inside. You won't believe what I found in there. Just the Starrett combo square is worth more than the whole set up cost me. Probably 1k in micrometers alone.

Someone spent a lifetime putting this collection together. I'm dumbfounded really. The tools are mostly 50-100 years old. I will put them to good use though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I found this old shabby looking wooden box for sale yesterday. $100 for the box and the tools inside. You won't believe what I found in there. Just the Starrett combo square is worth more than the whole set up cost me. Probably 1k in micrometers alone.

Someone spent a lifetime putting this collection together. I'm dumbfounded really. The tools are mostly 50-100 years old. I will put them to good use though.
What no cords?

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Whats a trim carpenter gonna do with machinists tools? Your not going to try to measure your trim lengths down the .001" are you.:jester:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
basswood said:

Good score!

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're a thief.... but a smart one...:thumbsup:

(How'd ya find it.... yard/estate sale?)
It was from an estate sale and ended up in a hole in the wall antique/junk shop. The strange thing is that the guy held onto it because someone he knew was going to give hime $50 for it and backed out! I gave hime twice that and still feel guilty. After I said I would buy it someone else said they would pay more for it. But it was too late... for them.

At least I will make good use of many of those tools.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whats a trim carpenter gonna do with machinists tools? Your not going to try to measure your trim lengths down the .001" are you.:jester:
I won't use the micrometers much, for carpentry.

The squares, protractors, rules, protractors. etc. will be great to use though.

The machinist tools will come in handy in the shop, for working on and calibrating the tooling.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have you used or done any research on any of those?

Great find btw! :clap:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Great addition to the shop----it's good to see the vintage tools back to work---it's a crime to let a fine old tool sit unused.

Lucky you--------Mike---------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts