Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for some of you domestic wood guru's. I had a client who bought an early 1940's house and it has original oak floors over car decking, he told me to take whatever I wanted before he demo's the whole building...

So I had to ask you guys, red oak, no beveled edge, tongue and groove, 2-1/4" wide, lengths range from 13" to 180", no lengths are the same. Is it worth anything as reclaimed? All hand nailed through the tongue, I'll post pictures of some of the pieces I took out earlier. It looks great but I'm no flooring guy.

·
Artist and not a curator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I kind of thought that might be the case. They had some gorgeous pecky I'm reclaiming, they decided to stain it blue on one face:eek::mad:

·
Registered
Remodel
30,095 Posts
Too new to be really desirable as old flooring, and probably too narrow to use for pieces people who want to be old / distressed (where you can just trim the broken tongue and groove off). It can make face frame with some character, but someone has to want it, and it has to be the right width for the frame.

Probably great material for some Mission style furniture, if you like to do that kind of thing - maybe a wine rack...

·
Artist and not a curator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its great looking wood, I just hate to see it go bye bye, so I'll take a few pieces to do something with. I couldn't believe how long some pieces were. The original carpentry was impressive to say the least, so I couldn't help but take a couple newel posts I plan to make into a mini lighthouse.

You guys up north got it made, nothing down here is old, if it is, its usually rotted out or horrible craftsmanship. Its sad to see the repairs people attempted knowing some ole boy put a lot of effort into making that place beautiful at one point, and some hack come in and booger up all his work.

·
Artist and not a curator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Met the old owner of the house today and he told me it was built in 1928. Damn shame 85 year old oak will see the bottom of a landfill, but if the dollars and cents don't make sense... The pecky is nice though.

·
Artist and not a curator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can always put any flooring you don't want up on craigslist and see if there are any takers.
He's going to bulldoze it Tuesday and I really haven't had the time I took this week to mess with it, if there was a solid market I would pay a helper to tear it up, but the doors and pecky were just too nice. I think I might go back when they start demo and get the 3X8 heart pine beams that make up the roof. They're a beautiful clear, tight, straight grain you can't find around here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts