Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of jobs coming up on a couple of 150+ year old houses and was looking for some advice from you guys. Got up in the attics and checked out the sheathing, old barn boards in rough shape, gaps, holes rot the works. I quoted both of them as being resheaths. These big old houses have lots of intricate trim work on gables and soffit, any suggestions how to remove sheathing without fowling this all up or just sheath over barn boards? Would like to pull them up to address any framing issues put in new insulation etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Once stripped determine if patching the bad spots is a better option than re-sheathing the whole roof. If just minor patching for rot is needed an overlay with 3/8 cdx will do to take care of gap issues.

Otherwise you risk having to mess with rake edges and other trim details that might be just nailed to the sheathing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was thinking, patch the bad spots then sheath over with 1/2" Zip. Really don't want to have to start messing with rakes, built in gutters etc. Shouldn't be an issue adding the extra weight on a 10:12 pitch?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Possibly a few layers of roof on it now, so another layer of ply wont add anything really.
I use a rake edge metal rather than drip on the rakes, more coverage over the edge.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It will be a non issue, the plywood will make the whole assembly stronger. Redecks are the best plan or an old building like that. Just fix any rotten boards before you do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts