Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call today about blasting 8 of the old radiators you find in older homes. The guy wants them redone so his little boy doesn't pick up and eat the paint chips. I just had a pretty embarassing pricing mistake over the weekend on a trailer and I don't want to ruin this one. What do you guys think? He said they're all different sizes, but are around 4 ft wide, 1ft deep and 2 ft high. He said they're extremely heavy, but he's bringing them to me. I still see some lifting in my future though. Should I just say no before I even start regarding the lead paint, or should I take this on? Maybe I'll get lucky and some of you guys have already done these and can give me some insight. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Better watch out for so called lead neutralizers. You can't neutralize lead. it's not acidic. It's a metal. Once a metal always a metal. It may stabilize the lead and keep it from leaching out during a TCLIP test, but the lead is still there and still has to be disposed of accordingly. If it worked like that then contractors would be spraying it onto every bridge and tank that has lead based paint on it. Make sense?? Look before you leap. You can blast it off if you want to. Chances of being caught is slim to none, but are you willing to risk it?? Like I said, If the paint has lead in it you can do all the Voo-Doo magic and pour all the magic potions on it that you want but in the end you still have lead in the paint. The lead goes no where. Take my advice or not, It is up to you.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I'm going to call that company and see what it really does. I think it is intended to encapsulate a lead paint. I can't imagine you paint this over a lead paint. And then you can blast it all in to dust and now you can throw your lead in the land fill. Can't be. Why not just mix it in dry with your spent media what would be the difference. As Benny said it's still lead.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
As for the price to blast them. I would say about $50. each for labor, plus between 100-150 lbs of media each, whatever it takes. Ask for another two hundred ,plus paint ,to paint them for him. Make sure you plug up the ends with a bolt or atleast a rag or sponge rubber you can get from the sewing stores. Rustolium works fine. You don't need a high temp paint. You might need a gallon. I have a chain hoist in my booth. You might want to invest a couple hundred in an engine lift. Northern tools, Harbor freight. I often move that kind of thing by walking it end over end.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Betterblast, dont worry about he lead on the radiators. Your blasting on a small project. I do worry about the lbs. of these things. A small one can come in at a ton. I have blasted many more than I care to of these. Do not get involved in the painting or moving of these old behemothes. When you blast one you wiill understand. They have a complex geomtry that is immposible to explain. Use a heavy abrasive that will fracture onto other surfaces. When you do your first one you wil get it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They vary in size and the 4X2X1 is the biggest. It'll be the first job I've done from my house, so not having to drive somewhere will be nice...if he accepts. It's a catch 22 between pricing it so you make money and pricing it so you're not overpriced. One thing I've learned though, no one realizes what it takes to blast. The time, effort, materials, dirt, etc. involved. Make money or don't do it!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Paul These are just four footers gran has. I have done a dozen of them they are a couple hundred pounds. Like you would have in a bathroom at a house. They are complex but usually have a thin paint on them.

Gran your right about people not understanding what it takes. I still say set your profit and tell him you will add on as little as you have to to do a nice job and it takes what it takes. It's just gonna be a bag to three each. I just tell people if they want it done right, it just takes what it takes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts