Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling an old Vic that I bought. I replastered the walls, stripped paint on all trim, and have repainted everything. I am going to refinish the floors, but I need to move in. The floors have lost most of the clear coat. I want to clean the floors and put something on them to help protect the hardwood until I can to them.( I know someone will say carpet) is there anything that someone would suggest. The wood is yellow heart pine. I just want them to look better and feel clean, and if I can get some protection as well would be great.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will a water test be ok to test this? When working with furniture I can usually tell if it's been waxed. It has a different look, and feel. The places In these floors, that aren't worn, have a very very slight, sheen. Am I correct in the wax will not let the poly adhere. If it is waxed, is minerial spirits the way to go? I would refinish, but I have a 2'by3' hole patch and need to slight jack up middle of floor in one room.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
As long as there is no wax you can screen and recoat. Rent an obs 18. Screen 100 and 120. Vac tack tack tack coat. Repeat screen and recoat process if desired. scratches stains etc will remain.
Agreed, and don't get a buffer to screen if you've never run one. If you do get a buffer (and haven't ever used one), please have someone video you using it and post it here :laughing:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, and don't get a buffer to screen if you've never run one. If you do get a buffer (and haven't ever used one), please have someone video you using it and post it here :laughing:
Ok. I already have some contractor's funniest videos on this house. You should have seen me sweating my arse off, working the plaster. Turned out good, after a couple of sleepless nights.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Will a water test be ok to test this? When working with furniture I can usually tell if it's been waxed. It has a different look, and feel. The places In these floors, that aren't worn, have a very very slight, sheen. Am I correct in the wax will not let the poly adhere. If it is waxed, is minerial spirits the way to go? I would refinish, but I have a 2'by3' hole patch and need to slight jack up middle of floor in one room.
Couple ways I test for wax. Water droplets are one. Water left overnight will get milky white when it dries.

Another way is to throw a little poly down & see if it separates. If it does, it's waxed or been cleaned with silicone.

Shellac will hold together over light wax if it's just a temp fix.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I hate to do the floor twice so, I've decided to take the time to refinish the floors. I'll post some pictures (if it turns out ok):whistling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts