Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just Jennifer - The Paint
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just thought the picture was striking. We can clearly tell the difference when working with the stuff! That's the only testing I need.The last 25 years have been really bad for wood quality! I save all of my old lumber, salvage vintage trims and doors and so on. My garage is a warehouse for reclaimed goods. They don't make good wood baseboards any more. I strip and refinish my century old trims. Heck, I even strip and polish the old harware & hinges on the doors. One can buy reproduction but it is never as good as the original. You, absolutely can tell the difference when shopping for wood!

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That northern Canadian lumber has much tighter grain due to the slow growth cold climate of course. Not enough of it to go around though. The run of the mill lumber is growth for fast production in the hot humid climate.
The USA wants to seriously limit the amount of lumber we send you. It's a regular point of contention between the 2 govs. We'd love to send you more!

·
Registered
Remodel
35,587 Posts
Those lumber species needs to be authoritatively identified before doing the comparison. 2 out of 3 appear to be mixing species.

S-P-F in a modern stud means it's any variety of spruce, pine, or fir. I bet there are over 50 varieties.

·
Renaissance Man
6,880 Posts
This piece of pleasure cost me a lot!...or should I say the customer:whistle:

Attachments

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This piece of pleasure cost me a lot!...or should I say the customer:whistle:
There is a big industry growing up around reclaiming, salvaging and repurposing old growth. I must say, I think that's better than felling what few old growths that remain in the wilds and our national parks. Old growth is quite a bit more costly. So far, my salvaging has been cost free. I have even managed to find exact copies of my doors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The USA wants to seriously limit the amount of lumber we send you. It's a regular point of contention between the 2 govs. We'd love to send you more!
Yep, big contributor to our recent lumber crisis. Restrictions and new tax on northern lumber. I know a rail yard that had several train loads that made it in before the tariffs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a big industry growing up around reclaiming, salvaging and repurposing old growth. I must say, I think that's better than felling what few old growths that remain in the wilds and our national parks. Old growth is quite a bit more costly. So far, my salvaging has been cost free. I have even managed to find exact copies of my doors.
Really don't agree with that industry. 😕 guys going around our countryside taking a Pettibone and chainsaw to original 1800s barns. Even nice well maintained ones. It's really been heartbreaking seeing so many being demolished.

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really don't agree with that industry. 😕 guys going around our countryside taking a Pettibone and chainsaw to original 1800s barns. Even nice well maintained ones. It's really been heartbreaking seeing so many being demolished.
Crips! That is just evil! I'm all for salvage but not outright destruction! There is no good idea that people won't turn to s**t.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,587 Posts
People around here will tear them down so they don't have the extra taxes, insurance, and upkeep. Others get destroyed by fire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts