Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really old vinyl tile on terrazzo. I have tried to scrape, use a blow torch. Nothing is removing this very well. Is there a safe chemical to use or is my only option to put ceramic tile over it?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
if you are going ceramic tile, then it may be best to remove everything, then install new concrete board.
chip out the terazzo would be my guess, and take the vinyl with it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Flor, have you ever dealt with terazzo? That stuff is harder than a whore's heart. It's also making a comeback now and is really expensive to install. If it were me, I'd clean up the terazzo and keep it, better than tile anyday.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
AH...I see.

I guess Terazzo it is.

Or a floating floor over it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Floating floor would cover the whole mess. I grew up with terazzo floors and they are now back in vogue, why not attempt to restore the old floor?
Be carefull though, you are dealing with marble and you don't know how well it was sealed prior to the vinyl. Solvents may cause the adhesive to migrate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teetorbilt said:
Floating floor would cover the whole mess. I grew up with terazzo floors and they are now back in vogue, why not attempt to restore the old floor?
Be carefull though, you are dealing with marble and you don't know how well it was sealed prior to the vinyl. Solvents may cause the adhesive to migrate.

I was thinking of staying with the terazzo, but how do I get rid the old vinyl?
It has to be there for at least the last 35 years.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Did you use a floor scraper?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts