Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old Courthouse 1906

We have done quite a bit of work at the old courthouse in town. Now we start another project today. Going to be a hallway from a new elevator (elevator not our project, stairs there now) leading to a kinda reception room. Then on top will be a 24' x 16' deep balcony for lighting crew and couple rows of seating.

Started with a 6 3/4" x 13 1/2" x 25' glue lam going up 3 flights of stairs.
Took 5 of us.

Wall Wood Beam Room Floor

Property Room House Building Architecture

Building Property Ceiling Architecture House

Dismantled the old crew station.

Ceiling fan Ceiling Property Room Mechanical fan

Beam pockets cut and beam in.
Ceiling fan Ceiling Mechanical fan Room Roof

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Cool. How old is the courthouse? The lighting crew is for county commission meetings? Do they broadcast on local cable like they do here?

That's a hefty glu lam:thumbup:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of older projects we have done. It is now Center for the Arts building. It's a cool old building. The projects are awesome to me because I don't get to do this type of trim carpentry too often.

Commemorative plaque Font Metal

Ceiling Light Lighting Light fixture Architecture

Ceiling Molding Room Plaster

Room Tile Floor Flooring

Ceiling Plaster Room Molding

Room Property Wood flooring Floor Hardwood

Property Room Wall Ceiling Interior design

Attachments

Reactions: hdavis

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. How old is the courthouse? The lighting crew is for county commission meetings? Do they broadcast on local cable like they do here?

That's a hefty glu lam:thumbup:
It is now Center for the Arts building. The floor we are on has a theater with the stage behind where I was taking the photo.

I can't remember the exact year it was built so I will have to look at the plaque again. The old jail next door (still has dead man's walkway connecting the two buildings) was completed in 1910 so the courthouse is around there.

Reactions: mudpad

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
That's cool. I like how the politicians are the ones who get recognized on dedication plaques. :rolleyes:

There is a stone chapel at the University of the South up on Monteagle mountain (Tennessee). They actually have a plaque in there that lists all the stone masons and helpers that worked on the project. :thumbsup:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a pic of the gallows?
We actually used to have a hanging tree downtown. I believe it kicked the bucket but the plaque still remains. They then planted a new tree but its not as cool to know someone neck broke on it.:laughing:

Reactions: asevereid

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
'The saloons were closed and it was an orderly lynching'... Lol

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not been go this job in a while but looks as though I might get to put some hours in. Couple progress pics.

Building Room Interior design Property Ceiling

What was going to be just a hall is now going to be a hall with double pocket doors.

Ceiling Light Property Architecture Wood

There will be arches going from post to post. We tried to talk them out of the top arches but they want what they want.

Property Building Room Floor Architecture

Arched door way leading to the reception room. Little storage under the stairs.

Electrician has started but we still have some blocking and a couple other little things to do.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good. Looks like you may need to do a little work on that existing ceiling?
I hope so. Unfortunately they are very picky as to what we work on due to their very limited funds. All work is funded by grants, donations, and contributions. We usually chip in some time and/or materials.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arches are done. There is an arch across the entire ceiling and it is in no way smooth and steady. We still are not thrilled with them due to the irregularities in the ceiling but once again they like them. Give and take the whole way to get a fairly pleasing product.

Ceiling Ceiling fan Room Mechanical fan Building

Double Pocket frames are in. They fetched some original doors from the basement that will be used here.

Wall Building Floor Ceiling Room

We also got about 90% of the drywall hung. Forgot a picture before we left.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a photo of the room we are working in. Sorry photo of photo. It was the large courtroom on the west side of the building.

Room History Chapel Church Building

This desk is the desk you see in the photo above. It now sits in a reception room to the theater.

Furniture Desk Wood stain Room Table

Here are a couple photos of the walkway connecting the courthouse to the 1910 jail I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Architecture Alley Daytime Town Urban area

Architecture Alley Building Urban area Infrastructure

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was another project we did a couple years ago. They were installing central heating and cooling but needed to keep the air contained. We created this with double pane glass to keep the skylight functional.
Daylighting Window Ceiling Architecture Glass

Glue lams were used then 2x4s along with a couple rows of crown.
Window Daylighting Ceiling Architecture Sash window

This is the only platform we had to work off of underneath the skylight. As you can see there are stairs leading down both sides. We built scaffolding that hung from the inside of the skylight well. It was amazingly strong. Wish I had taken pictures. Very interesting project to say the least.
Floor Property Wood flooring Room Hardwood

Room

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some taping done today. We are still unable to hang rock in the stair well due to waiting on lighting fixtures. Not much time put in today being that I was at a different job for most of the morning. Rush type of day and forgot pics again. Plus tomorrow will be better for pics anyway.

I want to try to get into the attic and take some photos to post up. This really old stuff is just cool to me. I am constantly thinking about how they did stuff back then. Interesting.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts