Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
Really very nice work but I think they could have picked a better stone.

It is just my opinion of course but I think a more square stone, lighter in color a bit bigger over-all would have looked more appropriate.
But who knows, maybe the type of stone I see there is fairly indicative of the natural stone in the locality?

Andy.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
It looks OK, but I agree that the stone is too small. A larger one would have been more appropriate, or even a water table and then thin brick.

The workmanship is tight though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It looks OK, but I agree that the stone is too small. A larger one would have been more appropriate, or even a water table and then thin brick.

The workmanship is tight though.
This kind of goes along with what JBM was talking about in his thread about having to do work that we really don't like the looks of, sometimes.

This stone doesn't look anything like the natural rock we have around here, but we sure do lay a lot of it.

I suggested letting me lay a red slick face common 'thin' brick, but the original building was bricked in 1913, and the addition was added on some time in the 90's and they were afraid the thin brick would just look like three different kinds of brick.

The building committee picked it out. and seem to be pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you were doing it in thin brick you would not match it, you would contrast it.
I agree, but they didn't want three different looking brick. The reason
I suggested slick common, that's one of only three thin brick we have here. (the best out of three)

They can saw any brick you want, but it's a dollar a brick extra to cut, with a wait of 6 to 10 weeks.

And....basically, I personally don't think anything I could of done, brick, stone, stucco, anything, probably wasn't going to look good.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I preffered the concrete also. Work looks good but it looks like fake stone on an old building which to me just doesn't work.

But as always, if the customer likes it and the cheque clears.......

Just wondering, how did you finish it between the stone and the brick?, any flashing or was the brick corbeled out past the concrete enough?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Were I rector, I would have stuccoed it and faux stoned it like this one:

I do think John did a great job with the cards dealt him however,I agree with Tom. A stone like stucco would have been my first choice.

Here is a youtube video showing a look (without the trowel scrapes and dash) that IMHO would have been the route to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts