Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I held a B license in California in the early 90's (91). After going into computer work as a programmer I allowed the license to lapse. I am sick of computers and want to get back to contracting, but lack the 4 years of recent experience in trade. Will the old license cover my experience requirement? Can I get the old number back?

·
General Contractor
149 Posts
Hi,
I held a B license in California in the early 90's (91). After going into computer work as a programmer I allowed the license to lapse. I am sick of computers and want to get back to contracting, but lack the 4 years of recent experience in trade. Will the old license cover my experience requirement? Can I get the old number back?

I'm sure Phil will weigh in on this at any moment, but in the meantime here goes. If the license was issued to you as a sole owner/proprietor, then you can request that the license NUMBER be re-issued. If the license has been expired for more than five years, you need to re-apply and the new application will still require four years of experience within the last ten years. You will also have to take both the law and trade exams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am new to this board and want to take the opportunity to say hello and thank you for your response, but seriously, no credit for having held a license in good standing albeit a long time ago? I could pretty much see that in software, since technology changes so fast, but the basic concepts of construction are pretty much the same as when I was in business some years back. I am sort of kicking myself for not keeping the license active over the years, but at the time my new found career seemed like a lifer and the fee - well... I wonder if anyone has any experience doing this, or if the requirements are hard and set in stone?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,999 Posts
Thanks MacRoadie... you were half right. :thumbsup:

If the license was a sole owner you can get it back. The good news... you don't need to show any experience on the app, but you will have to take both the law/business and trade exams.

Sweet huh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So all I need to do is fill out the app - send in the money and take the exams again? If that is the case, sweet indeed! The license was held in my name as a sole owner. On the app, what do I do with the experience section in that case. To be honest outside of a couple of side jobs here and there, I have spent the last 10 years writing computer code living in a truly Dilbert world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts