Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of yall feeling the squeeze yet with the oil prices down? Its already started for me, but one of the down sides of word of mouth is most people who know each other are in similar lines of work, most of my clients are second homes for oil/gas people.

Just curious about what anyone else in oil country is seeing. We arent in oil country per say, but close enough to feel the sting. I didnt expect to see any digressions this fast.

Anyway, time to beat the streets, hit the archys up, stop by some decorators, chamber mixers, ect... Work will be run out in 8 weeks as we sit now. Had a new home back out in October, and had a big remodel back out this week. Looks like a custom my dad is designing is getting downsized, for all i know canceled or postponed.

Not worried yet, im pretty good at beating the bushes and have great clients who refer us, but definitely watching the pendulum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Any of yall feeling the squeeze yet with the oil prices down? Its already started for me, but one of the down sides of word of mouth is most people who know each other are in similar lines of work, most of my clients are second homes for oil/gas people.

Just curious about what anyone else in oil country is seeing. We arent in oil country per say, but close enough to feel the sting. I didnt expect to see any digressions this fast.

Anyway, time to beat the streets, hit the archys up, stop by some decorators, chamber mixers, ect... Work will be run out in 8 weeks as we sit now. Had a new home back out in October, and had a big remodel back out this week. Looks like a custom my dad is designing is getting downsized, for all i know canceled or postponed.

Not worried yet, im pretty good at beating the bushes and have great clients who refer us, but definitely watching the pendulum.

Thanks.

Do not live in oil producing area (mid -west) however,read the Wall Street Journal every day. They predict oil to remain below $ 63 a barrel til 2016 or longer. They say the oil towns will be pulled in with the sidewalks by then. Around me,the steel mills are shutting down tube mills that produce for oil companies.Also,50 miles from me is where the absolutely huge deposits of the silica sands are mined for fracking. They already are laying off.

A couple of weeks ago,there was a thread on CT talking about falling gas prices,at that time,economists were sounding the alarm bell,the fallout could get ugly.

Good luck,we are probably all in the same boat, some at the helm,others at the stern.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This is a very interesting time to be alive.

This economic warfare is hurting Iran, Russia, Venezuela, and North America all at the same time. As soon as the goal is reached, prices can again.

Does anyone know what the goal is? Are we looking to get Russia out of the Ukraine, strike a deal with Iran regarding nuclear arms, kill the pipeline across the US, or all of the above?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
:cowboy::cowboy:

Thanks.
This is deja vue on on oil, when i left TEXAS (a place i loved) in 87 i felt i needed to turn the lights out, oil was at $8.35 a barrel, i left broke. Was glad to get to cali, But miss TEXAS, Still have not had a real margeritta. dont sweat it TEXAS will survive :cowboy: paid today $1.75 a gallon on reg gas

·
House surgeon
2,389 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma, and had three meetings today to bid big jobs. I've been lucky through the years and haven't had these situations affect me. But gas prices, the conversation makes me furious. I was subbing off a huge company years ago and they complained because I rose my prices a little due to a huge increase in gas prices and I calmly made them feel like idiots. Five minutes later, the owner walked in and was laughing about losing 6000 in Vegas the day before. I said "I'm done with you guys" and walked out. Still friends with their estimator though

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the good news is that my buddy Geddis (Ohiohomedoc ) is booming. I might mozzy on up to Ohio and take a gander. He might have some gutters need cleaning and some floors to swept. Lol

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well, the good news is that my buddy Geddis (Ohiohomedoc ) is booming. I might mozzy on up to Ohio and take a gander. He might have some gutters need cleaning and some floors to swept. Lol

I don't know, if gas went so cheap they'll prolly back out I his gas stations.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma but not exactly in oil country. Most of the money here is farmers and ranchers. With cattle prices up I think we can survive for a while.
I have a buddy that isna builder in Edmond though. He says that he can tell that things have slowed down up there.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
A little early on the doom and gloom. I went through the big bust in 82, and this isn't anything like that. Most oil operators here are smaller companies, living off of vertical holes and low production, and for them, $60 and over oil is a God send. It was $25 just a decade ago.

But, to the point, I have 3 projects on hold until oil rises, and those projects combined value is over 2 million for me....which is a big deal. But.....as my grandpa was fond of saying, a drop in a bucket will soon fill a bucket. If we don't do the larger projects, we can still do the small jobs.

And there will always be a demand for small contractors.

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, if gas went so cheap they'll prolly back out I his gas stations.
He'll figure something out. Id bet cash money that boy could sell ice chips to Eskimos. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
As long as the oil prices don't tank so low that the small and middle sized producers can mostly survive at year or two of low prices,(most are still in the black @ 45$ a bbl.) well fields by pipelines have a 10-15 DOLLAR a lower cost to the refinery.... :eek:

The over leveraged will of course end up getting creatively destroyed to further lower the long term average cost of energy.:thumbup:

Now would be the time to refill any and all National strategic Oil reserves and STOP subsidizing ethanol and other Greenista Pipe dreams such as solar and wind.

Remember just the extraction part of the oil industry is suffering, the rest of oil business is humming along on added volume and profit margins.

Oil patch area companies need to check that their Banks, insurers, and other supply chain components aren't going to default on them from oil businesses' collateral damage.... Governments will of course tax the bejesus out any surviving businesses during a downturn to keep all their deadbeats/voters feeding on the public teat. see FDR, Nixon/ford/Carter, and the big 'O' behavior.

Every year, oil(energy) is a smaller % of the USA's GDP. It is no where near as (about 1/3) large a fraction of the economy as it was in 1973, or 1979.

The 50% drop has increased my bidding area radius a few miles....
Full sized pick ups are going to fly off the dealerships...

Econ 101, in a growing Economy, all existing players have to constantly lower costs and add value @ least the rate of growth just to maintain former income levels....."get busy living, or get busy dying..."

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good luck,we are probably all in the same boat, some at the helm,others at the stern.
As long as nobody's jumping overboard........In this dynamic and complex economy, no matter what happens, somebody is making money......whether it's oil and gas, copper, silica, or beaver pelts.......

Some of the greatest fortunes ever made have come from betting the right way, even if it means hardship for everyone else.......what's good for the goose, is good for the goose.........:whistling

And while I know hard working industrious guys will always survive, it is interesting seeing the take of guys where low oil prices are not clearly a blessing.......

·
Kowboy
1,876 Posts
When gas was 4 bucks a gallon, the new truck I was looking at would have made $168.00 a month of its own payment in fuel savings. Not so much now. There is a downside, although minimal, to lower gas prices, especially if you're selling new trucks.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
4,985 Posts
I haven't felt it cause I mainly work in austin where obummer money is still flowing. Buds in the oilfield say lay-off are starting bigtime down in Htown. The weak players in that field are going to get crushed.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Cowboy, buy your "new" truck from an unemployed oil worker/company and save thousands now and still save 40$ month in fuel costs.

If one needed a young roust-about to add to a crew, now would be the time to cherry pick the new lay offs that want to return to working...

"Come home to Austin Texas, We need you!"....on the oilfield Craigslist?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts