Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys : )

I just wanted to say Hi! I'm a new contractor from Oklahoma and to be honest, i'm getting a cold shoulder from the majority of Contractors around here. I've got stable work and etc, i've got good crews, and i've got happy customers. It seems like the only people i can't get friendly with, is my fellow business owners.

Is competition so fierce i can't invite someone out on the lake with me haha? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting into Commercial without getting out bidded by larger companies?

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
Hello guys : )

I just wanted to say Hi! I'm a new contractor from Oklahoma and to be honest, i'm getting a cold shoulder from the majority of Contractors around here. I've got stable work and etc, i've got good crews, and i've got happy customers. It seems like the only people i can't get friendly with, is my fellow business owners.

Is competition so fierce i can't invite someone out on the lake with me haha? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting into Commercial without getting out bidded by larger companies?
I'm out bid on almost all the jobs I get. Welcome by the way.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Commercial is all about:

Low bid

the ability to get in & out FAST

have the resources to carry a job to 90 days & more

There are no down payments or front money in commercial

don't forget retainage, which the holder of often tries to....

if you don't perform NO ONE is interested in your hard luck story...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it sounds like commercial is all about connections. If you don't have the lowest price from the supply shop, the lowest subs for mechanical (in oklahoma they require licensing), then you are going to get out bid by the bigger guys with a million dollar budget? (Most commercials i see being build are between 800-1.2 mil.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts