Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I this is what I have been doing for the last two months and getting nothing any advise.

-Cold calling contractors, remodelers, builders-trying to setup meetings to show products and services we offer.
-4"x6" Double sided, Laminate with tons of info pics, and coupons-have put out about 4000 as of today have 6000 more to go.
-Doing SEO to get the website up search engines, facebook doing tons of online posting, advertising, and even hit craigslist once a week
-18"x24" signs 100 around town
-Just went down and pulled City & County permits and going to starting dropping by and calling tomorrow
-Calling on old customers and "checking" with them
-I hand out 200 business cards a month

NOT ONE SINGLE CALL IN A MONTH

I am at a lose we do Kitchen & Bath remodeling, carry six lines of cabinets and TONS of other products. Any ideas???????????????

·
Registered
992 Posts
Okay I this is what I have been doing for the last two months and getting nothing any advise.

-Cold calling contractors, remodelers, builders-trying to setup meetings to show products and services we offer.
-4"x6" Double sided, Laminate with tons of info pics, and coupons-have put out about 4000 as of today have 6000 more to go.
-Doing SEO to get the website up search engines, facebook doing tons of online posting, advertising, and even hit craigslist once a week
-Just went down and pulled City & County permits and going to starting dropping by and calling tomorrow

I am at a lose we do Kitchen & Bath remodeling, carry six lines of cabinets and TONS of other products. Any ideas???????????????

No not really. You seem to have hit it all. I would maybe do a postcard mailing to old customers you either gained/lose.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Between Thanksgiving and end of January things are always slow, don't fret too much. Your probably not doing anything wrong, maybe just a little late.

From spring right through the fall, I try to line stuff up for the winter. If someone approaches me in the spring about an inside job, I'll try to get them to consider it in the winter. I tell them I can drop my rates a bit then. I have a lot of repeat customers who always plan on using me during the winter months.

Right around spring thaw I raise my rates back up. This year I plan on raising back up around April 22, right when the RRP rules suppose to kick in.

Anyway, don't get too worried. Phones don't normally ring much after the holidays, everyone's trying to quiet down and settle into the cold months. When spring comes and the phones start ringing, start thinking about next winter then.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Between Thanksgiving and end of January things are always slow, don't fret too much. Your probably not doing anything wrong, maybe just a little late.

From spring right through the fall, I try to line stuff up for the winter. If someone approaches me in the spring about an inside job, I'll try to get them to consider it in the winter. I tell them I can drop my rates a bit then. I have a lot of repeat customers who always plan on using me during the winter months.

Right around spring thaw I raise my rates back up. This year I plan on raising back up around April 22, right when the RRP rules suppose to kick in.

Anyway, don't get too worried. Phones don't normally ring much after the holidays, everyone's trying to quiet down and settle into the cold months. When spring comes and the phones start ringing, start thinking about next winter then.
Thanks for that post Norm. I get a little nuts myself every year at about this same time. I know I should just accept the "time off" and try to enjoy it. (Only worked about 6 hours last week, and only have about 3 days lined up this week so far)

It's good to hear I'm not alone!:thumbsup:

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
Start thinking about changing the make up of your network. GC's, owners, CM's etc are the low hanging fruit. Try to find out who has the discretionary budgets to spend. Overturn stones you never thought of overturning: environmental firms, legal listings (consent orders), other people you might know in DEP/EPA. Look for work where work is being forced to be done through regulations, consent orders, etc. We had a zillion boiler jobs pop up on the radar in late August - all the property owners that tried to get their old units cleaned and cranked, and found out they were shot. Oh, also look for property management companies, banks, shopping centers, places where if they don't get something repaired, they're in deep do-do if something goes wrong. I actually had the best month ever in my life in December, as far as income goes. And it all came from crazy, left field contacts.

Suggestions: military bases, government buildings, schools, libraries, colleges. And anything that's getting a piece of the stimulus. I do estimating on the side for a couple of guys that are dialed into some GC's that do nothing but Federal work (I have partners in my construction company that want to stay away from PW work due to past experiences, so I help out other guys I know get work, and I make a few bucks on the side doing it). One job I did estimates for was a 22 story court building in Philly. Almost every floor was having its restrooms re-done. 192 commodes, 46 banks of 3-sink lavatories and countertops (all of it night work, though).

There are also jobs being let out right now through the feds with absolutely no drawings. Just a 2 page scope of work. I did an estimate for a guy for a couple hundred thousand dollar plumbing job, with nothing more to go on than two or three paragraphs and a walk through (which I didn't attend). (My client won the bid and killed the job on labor hours - we think everyone else was caught flat footed with no drawings and went high to be safe.)

These federal installations were given orders to spend stimulus money on maintenance and replacement projects, and there was no time to get drawings done. Courthouses, Coast Guard installations, airports. And if you have disabled veteran status, you should be choking on work right now. The feds have orders to give work to firms with disabled vet status as long as the numbers aren't "egregiously higher" than the bid pool.

There is work out there, if you're fortunate enough to be somewhat close to some of the action. Just got to be persistent and have the eye of the tiger. I know guys that travel 250 miles for work, and stay in nearby motels, eat from soup cans on a hot plate, and go home on weekends. That's what it's taking these days.

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
Its always slow this time of year except for the new construction boith res and commerical but those days are long long gone.

There is federal work out there but make sure you got the $$$$$ to play with the big boys and a good lawyer...

Yes, and bonding capacity is also key. And you need to know the contract you sign, inside and out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same situation here. Ive done all that I can do. This whole downturn is getting old. Im now typing on a laptop with an 18lb cat on my lap thats trying to eat my spring fly collection(as I make them). He really likes the sawed in half rabbits head.Good luck.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
<meta name="keywords" content="Cabinets, kitchen & Bath, bath hardware, door hardware, interior doors, wainscoting, countertops, sales, installation,

This loks like an aisle in Lowes. A basic store directory. You need website client oriented keyword phrases. I left you a message. My typing sucks!:w00t:

You also don't have any analytics code in your site, nor verifier code either.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Roberts Ren said:
I'd have to see it, but that could also be part of the problem. Your description sounds like you have too much on it. Simple is better, less is more, and all that sort of thing. Plan one goal for the piece and don't put the whole store "in their face" at the door where people walk in. Any type of materials you use need to have a focal point, good use of white space, and easy flow of info.

Like the others pointed out, this time of year provides the opportunity to fine tune your marketing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You sound like me...

I sympathize. You sound like me. If your market is retail homeowners it sucks right now. Our foot traffic and pipeline went completely dead the second week of October and nothing I've done has revived it. Only good news is I can give you is we've had a few days of a little foot traffic since between Christmas and New Year's, maybe 15 % of what it should be, which is better than essentially zero.

If you can hang on use this time to build the "pipeline" by getting in front of, and staying in front of, as many people as possible. When it finally starts to move again you should get more calls than people who haven't done anything.

I also talked to managers of two big-chain fast food restaurants today in high traffic locations. Both said their stores are down double-digits. This recession is clearly not rebounded, especially in our industry. You just have to keep digging, but, DAMN I'd like to actually like to be in front of a few real prospects instead of the occasional "just browsing..." Good luck on hanging in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts