Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I would not recomend doing that to any of my Ipe Wallets.

Ipe will handle it a lot better than most decking.
Down side = messing with the finish,drying out the lumber, salt geting into surface checks when the melt comes causing further problems come the spring.

Upside= melted ice less sliping when walking. J.

·
Registered
162 Posts
HEY WANDA ( Wanda's my wife) Let's try and corrode all that fancy hardware that deck contractor use in our deck OK. OK Clem I'll get the rock salt sweetie.

·
Banned
28 Posts
We had a call from a homeowner a couple years ago because the footings were crumbling. The deck was only 18 months old (two MN winters). We looked at it in the spring and we were floored at how three of the four footings were completely deteriorated. The fourth was in perfect condition. This was a deck were we ordered a concrete truck so we knew it wasn't a mix issue from one footing to the next.
Ended up, the homeowner was putting rock salt on the deck before during and after snow (A LOT). The salt melted the snow. The water absorbed into the concrete. The water froze again and rapidly destroyed it.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,345 Posts
I kinda figured it was a bad idea because of what Mike said, never knew it would mess with the concrete footings tho. Good info there dexpert, even tho I'll probably never need to worry about rock salt use on my decks.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I dident even bring up the fasteners If the contractor used some of these coated screws they would start to go very quickley using rock salt. Even the high grade ss screws would not put up with constant exposure to rock salt water. J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts