Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to spray foam around copper? I want to insulate the pipes, (Fill the space) where it goes through some studs. I want to keep it quiet. I'm not concerned with isulation for cold. That will be covered with normal insulation.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, I know of no reactions between copper and polyurethanes and I have worked with the latter for years. GreatStuff has a variety of compositions and I know that I have seen a can showing application with Co pipe.
If you are looking for bulk use let me know......I have my ways.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Absolutely NOT..............

The chemical reaction to the foam as it expands will react with copper. The EPA and Clean Water ACT strictly prohibit this above the Mason Dixon Line as of 1994, March.
Any Plumber or Homeowner who uses this type of insulation aroung copper plumbing without safeguards can, and will be fined by the EPA. Also if contamination is found to have leached into the public supply, by the plumbing not having a back flow prevention valve, the Homeowner and/or plumber will be responsible for all housing and municipality plumbing repairs for the immediant suroounding .15 miles of plumbing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
pondman said:
The EPA and Clean Water ACT strictly prohibit this above the Mason Dixon Line as of 1994, March.
Numerous searches for information about this leave me empty-handed. Can you tell me where I can read more about it? Seriously. No, I'm serious - I want to know more about this! I'm not kidding!

But please, if it's at the same site that explains how you get 'brain worms' from eating sushi, don't bother.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
pondman said:
Filed Jan 24, 1994 Mid Atlantic Bereau, affirmed by both and senate and signed by President on March 8, 1994.
PipeGuy said:
Can you tell me where I can read more about it?
Pond - What was filed? What is the Mid-Atlantic Bureau? Forgive my ignorance but can you share some info with me that's a bit more germane to being able to finding out more? Clearly you have some sort of detailed information. Do you have an EPA bulletin or something? Does it have a title and a date of publication? Thanks.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm glad I asked. Thanks Pond.
May I ask why you are so secretive on the source? I have done some serces myself and used your last "EPA municipality water" as a starting point. No luck. Do you have some link we could all share?
Thank you for the information though it will definately help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All i used was a little bitty minnow and i caught one GIANT PIPE!!!!!! :cheesygri :rolleyes: :cheesygri :rolleyes: :cheesygri :rolleyes:

North of the MAson Dixon !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Paul- I have never heard of the either the restrictions or the reactive condition to which Pondman has referred. I spent about an hour looking for information specific to the matter and did not find any. Not at the EPA's website or at Dow chemical's site. Personally, I would not be the least bit worried about the EPA showing up at my house looking for the renegade use of foam sealants. If what your trying to do is preclude the hammering of copper tubing against the side of cut-outs, and your worried about what Pond has represented, then use a latex based foam product instead of a polyurethane based product. The foam doesn't set up quite as hard but it should still do the trick.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Serves me right :eek: I won't make that mistake again :D Bite me Pond. :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Like I said, serves me right. Glad I could make your evening more enjoyable. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since we are having fun...I called the great stuff people one day when I was considering using the stuff around light cans in my attic and wanted to know the flash point. After answering my question they gave me some disclaimer about never using the stuff to seal holes where electrical wires were run. I said then why is there a picture on the can of some dude doing just that. Of course they denied it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts