Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried Tru-Gard on a shower install instead of Kerdi. Pricing is attractive, products look very similar.

http://www.trugardshowersdirect.com/
At first glance it looks like a phony price comparison to me - mortar and membrane v. the Schluter kit with panels. I'm all for price comparison, but it's not clear to me that this is close to apples-to-apples.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Either way, Kerdi (orange) /Truguard (green) / Benguard (red) are all about the same IMHO.

Pain in the butt to work with. :)

The best thing I find I like about Kerdi is the Kerdi drain. It gives you +- 1/2" adjustment and there is a stainless drain box/strainer. The benguard/trugard drain is just pvc box, with a stainless grate. Also not adjustable so you have to get it spot on when you set the drain. Kind of cheap to see a pvc box rim in a nicely tiled shower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Bob, I was mostly just comparing the membranes. As you say, the kits are different and price comparisons won't mean much for those. The most attractive part of these systems is getting the profile of the floor down. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts