Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacement window question?

What do you guys consider to be the best replacement window that isn't a budget breaker? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What you talki'n about Grumpy? $50 from best to worst?
From single pane to high- impact takes you from affordable to a second mortgage.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Right On Teetor

THATS MY POINT EXACTLY. WHATS A WINDOW THATS NOT A PIECE OF CRAP BUT ITS NOT A BUDGET BREAKER EITHER MEANING ITS LIKE INBETWEEN BUT NOT A PIECE OF CRAP. :Thumbs: :Thumbs: 50 dollars. I'm looking at replacement windows and its not 50 dollars between best to worst try hundreds of dollars. I've got no problem with 50 dollars.

·
Registered
438 Posts
747 Not real sure of the name that i bought last year, as I did 8 for my own home. I think I paid around 250- a piece for them.

My partner on the other hand went to a window and door co, and got the same windows, less the inner styles for about 200-

both windows look the same, go figure

bjd

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got no problem

I got no problem with that kind of money meaning 250 the windows i'm looking at are like between 400 and 650. Come on grumpy help a guy out how much should i figure to pay for replacement windows. I've got no problem at all with going with some manufacturer in chicago I drive from K3 county to ohare to get back and fourth to work being a pilot for american airlines. I would think you should no the price being a contractor in the city.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
$600 for replacement windows? Installed or material only? You are paying too much, even if it is triple glazed with Krypton and double strength glass.

Simonton Prism Platinum or Simonton Reflections 6500 (same thing different name). Double paned windows, glass breakage warranty, Argon insulation, Low e, stainless steel balances, AAMA gold seal... very nice window. Even if you pay full price, for material, it's not going to be $600 for the average sized window (85 UI). With my discount, I'd pay something like $180 for this window.

Climate Guard makes a slightly less "fancy" window with all the same basic features, for less $$$. I have Climate Guard windows in my own home. Call Linda at Remodelers Supply at 847-985-1700. I have to call her at 8:30 to place a window order.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Bravo! Bravolisimo! Bravolingus!

Grumpy said:
$600 for replacement windows? Installed or material only? You are paying too much, even if it is triple glazed with Krypton and double strength glass.

Simonton Prism Platinum or Simonton Reflections 6500 (same thing different name). Double paned windows, glass breakage warranty, Argon insulation, Low e, stainless steel balances, AAMA gold seal... very nice window. Even if you pay full price, for material, it's not going to be $600 for the average sized window (85 UI). With my discount, I'd pay something like $180 for this window.

Climate Guard makes a slightly less "fancy" window with all the same basic features, for less $$$. I have Climate Guard windows in my own home. Call Linda at Remodelers Supply at 847-985-1700. I have to call her at 8:30 to place a window order.
CONGRATULATIONS GRUMPY!!! You win the award for MOST informative post I've read yet. That post is stuffed with good information like a Christmas turkey stuffed with oyster dressing. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quotes for windows for my house were running about $475. ea.
I put off the project.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Teetor, New construction or replacement? Wood or vinyl?

Marvin Ultimate windows will easily run $400 for the window it's self. If you upgrade to their hurricane resistant window I could see the same size window costing double. These are new construction windows.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grumpy

:Thumbs: Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there located on pratt ave in schamburg. No problem bisterfield/wise rd. to mitchell blvd go left to pratt go right they should be there. 514 Pratt. The guy was talking anderson windows with those prices grumpy something about energy efficent and true divided light. :Thumbs: I will definately check linda out.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy, let me ask your expertese on how this window industry works. Tell me if I have this right...

1) There are widow companies such as Anderson and Pella that just make windows, they are national brands.

2) There are window companies that are more local, they make their own windows and have employees and subcontractors who install them for the company.

3) There are window companies that are more local who just make windows for others to install?

4) There are local companies selling windows who don't make any windows at all and buy from 1,2 and 3?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Mike Yes to 1 2 3 & 4. I am #4.

True divided lights WILL be expensive. Those are grid patterns. You end up with a window that is made of of 10 little windows. Seriously if you are going to get a grid pattern get simulated divided lights, between the glass. They actually put the grids between the glass so you never have to clean 'em and it looks the same from the street.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw a really cool true divided light window last week. the individual panes were arranged in diamonds inside of one large rough opening which was about 74" x 54". All of the mullions were etched with a fancy ivy leaf type pattern. The thing looked like it mustve weighed about 700 lbs and the guy said he paid about $2500 for it.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not yet grumpy

Most of the time I' m on this website its in a hotel room on my laptop just killing time wating to get the call to fly a plane back to ohare. I will definately get to schamburg one of this morning or afternoons when i get back to ohare and on my way home. actually schamuburg is the other way but you get my point. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
747, I'm a private pilot and at one point wanted to fly the big boys but fate took me in other directions. Did you ever run into Walter Hardman or Doug Kopang? Walter flew for Eastern, I'm not sure where Doug wound up, I think that he went corporate.
I'm just kind of following along because I want to replace all of my windows someday. I'm stucco over CBS and am procrastinating to beat the band. I'm NOT paying installer prices for something that I am capable of doing. Here, most of the co's. pay by the piece. It's slam, bam, thank you ma'am, not the way that I want my windows installed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts