Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently just got a new job working for a high end custom homes builder. After remodeling much cheaper homes for years with another builder. I will be stricly framing for the next few years and all the hangers are nailed with 16's and today I was nailing a triple lapped lvl header hanger and I never bent so many nails in my life theres probably 50 nails in these things any tips? Im using a recently purchased 22oz estwing smooth face.

Also is there a place where I can learn a lot of framing basics quickly?

Thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have positive placemant nailers but they still hand pound 16's all the time instead of joist nails and will a waffle head really make a difference and why?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Waffle heads make a huge difference.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Palm nailers are cheap initially, but the money you invest on a strap shot will come back to you quick! Strap shot is the way to go.
While I agree, the hangers in question were nailed with 16d nails. Which is why I suggested the palm nailer.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Sometimes, if we are going through a tough girder with metal gusset plates, we will drill a small diameter hole first to serve as a pilot.

I just put a hanger on today that had 66 spikes in it. It was carrying a 3 ply 14" micro that was less than 3 feet long!!

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Palm nailers are nice but we dont have any and im not buying one for the company
I guess your boss doesn't like making money. I own 4 palm nailers. We have a lot of hardware on most of our houses. I think I paid $70 each for my last two and they are lifetime guarantee. Probably paid for themselves in one job. Now they make me money.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
I guess your boss doesn't like making money. I own 4 palm nailers. We have a lot of hardware on most of our houses. I think I paid $70 each for my last two and they are lifetime guarantee. Probably paid for themselves in one job. Now they make me money.
I paid 30$ for mine. It's a beast. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts