Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used a borrowed TS55 to cut bevels in a couple of site-built doors today.

Amazing. The face of the cut looked as if it had been polished.

This is going to get expensive.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,924 Posts

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
We used a borrowed TS55 to cut bevels in a couple of site-built doors today.

Amazing. The face of the cut looked as if it had been polished.

This is going to get expensive.
I'm considering one, too.

Whenever I "splurge on" any premium tool or device, it turns out to prove it's worth. Heck, I even remember thinking like that about getting a cell phones, then later a smart phones, etc. Thinking back on those deliberations is pretty funny. I should just learn my lesson: buy the best I can afford every time and get on with things. That would save me a load of time right there.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I've had to learn that lesson a time or three.

What I like about the track saw is that it fills a gap. I could think of many occasions when I used a table saw or a circular saw and got OK results where a track saw would have gotten me perfect results. Do that a few times and it justifies its expense. Honestly, its only about as much as a good jobsite table saw. Less if I can find one on craigslist.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Purchase as a package with a dust extractor. You'll save 10% on the CT.

I hate joining rails so I have longer rails for sheet rips.

You'll need either 2 rails (make the second a 75") and connectors or a long rail.

Get extra bags for the CT with the order and a couple of rail clamps.

As I said, I feel sorry for your finances.

Tom

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
How do they compare to making your own track with some ply? Was it Tom Silva or somebody else that showed how to make one?

(I'm talking about for occasional use..)

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
How do they compare to making your own track with some ply? Was it Tom Silva or somebody else that showed how to make one?

(I'm talking about for occasional use..)

I don't think it's worth it.

By the time you invest a couple hours in getting it perfectly true, you could have just bought a rail and saved a bit of space, lots of weight, and added a good amount of repeatable precision.
Not to mention all the great little rail accessories.

Plus, how you gonna make that ply-rail dead nuts without a green guide rail?

I started with two 55's and quickly got the 106 (?). The new carry bag is great. Roomier and easier than the old one. I have 4 rails in mine, 2-55 and 2-32's

·
Punching above his weight
10,887 Posts
What's the full track saw/vacuum/accessories(couple rails, clamps) set up run? It's under $2500 for everything, right?

When I'm about to buy a tool I try to find a job I've got coming up and pretend that instead of bidding the job, I offered to trade that person for the tool I want to buy. Somehow it feels better that way.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
What's the full track saw/vacuum/accessories(couple rails, clamps) set up run? It's under $2500 for everything, right?

When I'm about to buy a tool I try to find a job I've got coming up and pretend that instead of bidding the job, I offered to trade that person for the tool I want to buy. Somehow it feels better that way.
The TS 55 packages are not online yet. TS 55REQ, CT 26, 118" rail, connectors (2), screw clamps (2) about $1600.00.

Tom

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
tjbnwi said:
The TS 55 packages are not online yet. TS 55REQ, CT 26, 118" rail, connectors (2), screw clamps (2) about $1600.00. Tom
That doesn't sound so bad . So what would be best rail for 8' sheet goods .

·
Registered
506 Posts
skillman said:
I would get the Makita 118" rail instead of the Festool one. It's $200 versus 325 for the Festool and get the quick clamps over the screw clamps unless you the need 11" ones.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
The 106" will work, I prefer the 118". It will reach a corner to corner cut. Just a preference, nothing else. The 106" is a little cheaper.

If you do get the saw pay the slight difference between the standard 55" rail (TS 55) to get the rail for the LR 32 system with the holes. This will save you the cost of the rail if you do get the LR 32.

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,924 Posts
Sander...Ceros...Not Festool.

That is all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts