Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage of blown in fiberglass insulation over batt insulation?
I know blown in is faster and easier to install. Lets say you blow in 24" inches of blown; how is would that be better than laying 24" inches of batt?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blown will sag over time with humidity,etc, and it will reduce the R-Value, not to mention using in the attic, good chances you will block soffit vents if they exist.

Greg,
Any guy with half a brain would know to add soffit baffles before blowing the insulation.
I think i prefer blown in fiberglass( atticat) in the attic and maybe cellulose in walls.
To stop air flow, the sky is the limit with blown in fiberglass, you can go up 36" in an attic whereas in a wall, its only an R13- R15 tops. Cellulose might have an airflow advantage in a smaller opening such as a wall cavity. For an attic , definitely the ownens corning atticat.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not cellulose?
Well, i know its been tested and its treated with certain chemicals, i just have an issue with the fact that its made of recycled newspaper which is a convern ro me if its exposed ro moisture/ water. It does also settle over 20% sometimes and that can effect the Rvalue. That said, it is good material,i just have a few worries.
Blown in fiberglass ( attiCat) does NOT have the binders in it that make you itchy and also no faLmaldahyde( spelling). It doesnt absorb moisture, doesnt settle, and no mold can grow on it. Its also a cleaner installation, no dust.
Thats just my opinion, there are guys that love cellulose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.