Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a new project, it's a commercial job. I'm doing some of the interior framing (it's wood, not that it matters). The jobsite super hires a 2 man crew for some framing and I can piece some things together and figure out they've worked commercial drywall.

A few peculiar things pop up. We needed a panel saw to make some tables out of finish ply. One of the new guys says he has a panel saw, so he brings it in the next day. As I'm starting to begin crosscutting some stock, I step back because I'm a little perplexed at his machine. I feel like I don't know how the f*** to run a panel saw. I bring the guy over and ask him "how does the panel get in there?"

And my question is answered "oh......it doesn't cut 4' sheets, it cuts about 40 or 41 inches" :blink:

OK, so WTF good is it?

"Oh well, we use it to rip sheets of drywall for the soffits. Makes bitchin' cuts"

OK.... strange.... but you still need to make your sheetrock fit in the hole.

"Oh yeah, I know, we still have to rip off 8" or so"

And here's the winner

He says "see if you get some nice straight cuts for all your inside corners, you don't need to mud them" :blink:

"WTF are you talking about?" I ask

Bead of caulk.

Is this for real? Is this what some of you guys do? A bead of caulk?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I'm working on a new project, it's a commercial job. I'm doing some of the interior framing (it's wood, not that it matters). The jobsite super hires a 2 man crew for some framing and I can piece some things together and figure out they've worked commercial drywall.

A few peculiar things pop up. We needed a panel saw to make some tables out of finish ply. One of the new guys says he has a panel saw, so he brings it in the next day. As I'm starting to begin crosscutting some stock, I step back because I'm a little perplexed at his machine. I feel like I don't know how the f*** to run a panel saw. I bring the guy over and ask him "how does the panel get in there?"

And my question is answered "oh......it doesn't cut 4' sheets, it cuts about 40 or 41 inches" :blink:

OK, so WTF good is it?

"Oh well, we use it to rip sheets of drywall for the soffits. Makes bitchin' cuts"

And here's the winner

He says "see if you get some nice straight cuts for all your inside corners, you don't need to mud them" :blink:

Bead of caulk.

:blink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tried using a table saw once to cut window wraps on apt. complex. True, clean uniform cuts, but the dust was unbearable, not to mention that the motor seized about 1/2 way through the job.

I can slip-cut an entire house worth way faster, just as clean (a little rasping of the dog-nuts), than anyone could with a tablesaw. BTW: would never dream of caulking an I/S corner like they described. JMO

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts

OK, so WTF good is it?

And here's the winner

Bead of caulk.

Hacks

I had a guy try and hang a jpb by backcutting it and folding it so it wouldn't break the face paper, so he didn't have to tape the corners.

I threw his sorry butt off the job.

I had some guys come by my job wanting us to sub out the framing while we are in the middle of framing nad they wanted to hang the drywall and finish it, I asked him if he knew what a level 5 was, he said yes, level 5 was level 5.

I asked him to explain it, he couldn't tell me the difference between level 3 and level 5.

I sent his sorry butt packing too.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
And here's the winner

Bead of caulk.

:shutup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
:eek:

I am not a drywaller but I've been around long enough to know a little something about drywall and drywall finish, your guys are nuts. My brother who is a drywaller, metal framer and taper would slap those two silly if they tried that at any of his jobs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts