Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2 1/2 ton house a/c that someone says we can run with a generator. My brother says a $30 capacitor added for start-up is enough. We live in hurricane country and last year had 9 days and then later more than 3 weeks without power here. Any input would be appreciated. Have a 5500 watt getnerator. Waddya think? Met.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Met, according to my calcs, you aren't even halfway there with a 5.5 Kw. Your 3 ton should be on a 60A breaker X 220V = 13,200 w. You probably have a 200A service X 220V = 44,000 A.
I have found a 30 Kw surplus unit that I am strongly eyeballing for $6K. It's diesel, has fairly high maintainence factor and will stink while running. I'm thinking that this may be overlooked if I'm the only one with ice, running water (we are all on wells), a cool place to sit or sleep, hot food, refrigeration and all of the other fun stuff that we take for granted.
We had power for 3 days before Jeanne hit, repeat cycle. We are not near anything important and were last on the list.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya TB. We too are on wells, no power no water, we also have a single residence lift station, no power no poop! I was sceptical about a small generator powering that much tonnage (it's actually 2 ton), thought I'd throw the question out anyway. You know, maybe someone had invented a super capacitor or sumthin we've never heard of? Cheers! Met.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts