Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
my clients want a pine wood for their cabin. No hard finish, just oil. What I am looking for is (some kind of) oil that I can mix mix with (some kind of) tint to achieve other than the plain natural color, I want to darken the pine to a honey color.
Thanks of any suggestions

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
fsteyer said:
Hi -
my clients want a pine wood for their cabin. No hard finish, just oil. What I am looking for is (some kind of) oil that I can mix mix with (some kind of) tint to achieve other than the plain natural color, I want to darken the pine to a honey color.
Thanks of any suggestions
Quickest, easiest, fastest, and nicest for this application, IMO, would be MinWax Polyshades Honey-Pine, - - it's a pre-mixed oil-based honey-colored stain/polyurethane. HD's got it. Two coats, mimimum 8 hours apart works best.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The typical way that this is done is to stain first and then oil rub. Tung oil is going to be the easiest to obtain. Try Formby's stuff, it's in the box stores.

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys -

what I'm looking for is something like tung oil, except tung oil is going to need a lot of applications for a floor and dries slowly, right? It seems boiled lindseed oil dries the fastest but is very light. Do they make pigments (?) to darken the lindseed oil?
Also, I didn't know that you can apply oils over stain, I guess I'll make up a sample of that.
thanks again ...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Oils carry their own color and it can differ between manufacturers. The more coats applied, the darker the color gets. You may want to get some small cans and play with some scraps. I do this often and then let the customer decide, you will also have a handle on your costs and pricing
One coat of any oil is not going to offer much protection.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Yes. Since it is a wipe off product you wipe off the excess and it drys pretty quickly. In theory I can't see why you couldn't do 3 coats. One in the morning, one at noon and one about 5:00. However I really can't ever see doing more than 2 coats. Since I keep pouring the left overs for the bottom of each can into the new one I can get the results I want with one coat most of the time.

This is General Finish Cherry over alder.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'm not really sure what type of finished look you want. But doesn't a true tung oil finish have a bit of a shine or luster to it? This stuff I use definitly dries matte. Applying their 'poly' finish they make really finishes it off and brings out the color and richness. They make a matte, semi and gloss version of the 'poly' to finish it with so it is totally controllable. I often use just the gloss version but don't let it sit as a film and wipe it off after applying. About 2 coats wiped off creates the warmest prettiest matte finish I have ever seen. It just glows like some handcrafted french polished furniture that is 150 years old.

Unless you client is a wood worker I can't believe he really is specifiying a really specific finish down to the type of product family to use. Most clients just say I like the look of this and they could care less if you get there by adding cat pee to your stain. What I am getting at is that sometimes you have to do some tricks to achieve the finished result. Such as using a poly but wiping it off so it doesn't look like it has been polyied.

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Mike -
to answer your question - what I'm REALLY looking for is the fasted way to get traffic over the new floor (without using factory prefinished products). They live there now and don't want to be out for 3 days or so which would be my normal turn around after initial laying down of the boards(sanding, staining, 2x poly). I just figured (maybe wrong) that oil might be the fasted way to get a color finish with very short dry time. Basically one application, wait 10-12 hours and done, ready to walk on.
thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
try waterlox products.its a modified tung oil-doesnt dry super fast but a very good product.you can add stain to there finish to use on pine and it wont stain as blotchy as normal.check there website lotsa info.www.waterlox.com

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like a great product ... thanks for the info. Especially since it can be mixed with stains.
Thanks ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im hearing a lot of good things about the Waterlox from some experienced mechanics.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I just seen that

I just seen that on a home improvement show don't remember which one. They used something called tongue oil. I not a expert like teetor is but he might know something about that tongue oil. :Thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts