Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone here ever uses tung or other rubbed oils instead of poly or varnish for wood floors. I've only laid a few hardwood floors and done some basic finishing work. When I get around to laying new wood floors in my own house (3/4" oak, about 900 ft2), I'd be interested to use an oil finish that might patina with age and look a little less plastic'y. Any opinions or advice on looking into this type of finish?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Straight Tung oil looks great, but it's not very durable for floors. I did a reclaimed pine floor a few years ago and used 'Danish Oil' (It's a blend of Tung and poly I believe - not sure) and it looked fantastic. Really made the wood pop.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

I used some reclaimed pine for some wall treatments in this coffee shop I did last year. We put linseed oil on for the finish. I really like it. For a floor it will need to be reapplied every few years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love the look of tung oil natural finish on wood instead of the plastic look of poly. I too have found it to be not durable enough and ended up using floor poly. some have recommended to me a durable floor wax on top, however I havnt really used waxes and dont know much about it and would hate to botch it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pallman and Bona have buff on product that look very nice. You will have to touch them up from time to time, but they do give a rustic look in addition to no cure/dry time.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
I don't think it's a good idea. I get the idea, but I don't think tung oil will protect your floors at all.
So you're saying it doesn't protect from scratching? I can't imagine poly protects wood much from compression dents or gouges but i guess it's more scratch resistant. And obviously a seamless coat of poly will seal water out until the joints crack or open up. Prefinished or oil finished will have a weak point at the seams/joints.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Any oil or wax finish needs yearly maintenance--the oils are affected by moisture--spot and blush if water reaches them--and dirt sticks to the soft finish.

They can be beautiful--but renting a buffer and removing built up dirt is needed every few years and more wax to keep moisture from reaching the oils.

they do look rich,but few want (or can afford) the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
100% pure tung oil is no good for floors.

Waterlox tung oil finish is excellent. only do 2 coats of their original sealer finish..this keeps it natural looking.

any thing that penetrates and does not leave surface build will protect better than any surface finish , be easily managed, maintained and repaired.

you don't scratch wood//you scratch finish..

Rubio monocoat, Bona, Waterlox etc are great finishes for what you are seeking.

I have never used a Pallman product however they are based on the same principle so I imagine they are a great option.

a monkey can repair the finish for an apple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts