Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Had a big lap that didn't flow out. Let it dry. Sanded it. Scraped it, sanded it but it was gummy. This is what I got after doing an extra coat. I know I know. What should I do now? Sand with a fein, mask off and brush on finish is my best thought.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,873 Posts
If it was gummy it wasn't dry. You should have waited until it was dry and recoated. You can always scrap with a razor or card scraper to bring it down level and polish out. But again, it will need to be dry. It'll probably be tough to polish it and get the same sheen as the rest of the floor.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
These types of repairs are always difficult, taping off is the way to go, carefully sand out the area, tape off to all seams, reseal.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
thats an easy fix..its only across 2 board..
completely stencil out the 2 boards with tape..scrape the heavy ridge out.. hand sand until feathered off and flat...
clean and brush in the same poly...peel up tape and walk away......

can always risk slight sheen variation, but more often than not, we get a nice blend..

if you have the same can you have been working from, that would create an ideal touch up.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Yes it was guymmy when I initially scraped it. The job was a rush, for a large repeat client (a property management company) and the work had to be completed by today.

I did what everyone recommended. Sanded it with the fein, 120 180 grit taped and then apply poly from the same working can.

The funny part was I left a GIGANTIC note IN SPANISH AND ENGLISH on the door to watch for the repair and not walk on it. I check on the repair at lunch and the painter has all of his tools directly on top of it. All of the other rooms were completely empty and ready for his pile of crap. Needless to say I was a little miffed. The repair was dry and it did not appear that it caused any damage but the principle of the matter is what bugs me....:furious::furious::furious::furious:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Yes it was guymmy when I initially scraped it. The job was a rush, for a large repeat client (a property management company) and the work had to be completed by today.

I did what everyone recommended. Sanded it with the fein, 120 180 grit taped and then apply poly from the same working can.

The funny part was I left a GIGANTIC note IN SPANISH AND ENGLISH on the door to watch for the repair and not walk on it. I check on the repair at lunch and the painter has all of his tools directly on top of it. All of the other rooms were completely empty and ready for his pile of crap. Needless to say I was a little miffed. The repair was dry and it did not appear that it caused any damage but the principle of the matter is what bugs me....:furious::furious::furious::furious:
Typical **** for brains painters!!:mad:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Good to know you having solution for removing oil finish or also you can use liquid available in market for such flooring mistakes
Are you drunk or speaking accented English? Name this liquid please and your website is annoying with that discount in the corner, constantly flapping around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts