Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
English Dave said somthing about the years of experience on this board, and it got me to thinking.

Ok fella's this is where we sport our ages.

Glass: started building over the summers in 78 worked my way threw a year and a half college.

So lets say.........22 years in the biz.

Sound about right?

Next?

Bob

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Started helping my grandfather during the summer breaks at age 12 up until I was 18 and oout of HS. Started working 3rd shift at a factory and working construction 1st shift with gramps until that next spring. Had my own truck tools, etc...so started sub-contracting when it warmed up and never looked back. Buddy and I went partnership in Jan '00, I bought him out in Dec '00 and have been doing the deed ever since.

So been "doing the work" for 18yrs, but on my own for 12yrs.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Climbed into a manhole for the first time in July of '79. Got buried alive the following spring (figured out that being a laborer wasn't going to cut it while recovering in Medical College of Virginia). Labored another year, ran equipment two years, ran a crew almost five. By the late summer of '87 I got a chance to try my hand at estimating. Did that until I was afforded the chance in '00 to try my hand at managing field operations. Struck out on my own in Fall '03. 25 years and still crossin' my fingers (but I can't part my hair any longer) :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Started as laborer out of high school doing commercial labor/carpentry, went to night school to become a machenist, that lasted about 3 semesters, then 3yrs later became carpenter got married and divorced in the same yr. (of no fault of mine of course) had to find a night job, night job turned into full time for 4 yrs. and then found myself doing side work 30 to 50 hrs. a week and decided to make a go of it for myself in 93 and still kicking myself for not going out on my own sooner. All and all about 20yrs in the biz 12 for myself and 8 for others. thats my story and I'm stickin to it! :D

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Started working for my grandpa when I was 11 and when I was 18 I was running my own framing crew for my uncle. They both own construction companies.

Now I have been in the industry for 11 years.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
If you count the fact I started as a "gopher" when I was 12, then I've got 26 years.

But using actual construction where I was more than just a grunt, then I've got about 20 years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
15 years on the floor.

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
Over 18 years experience. I've done the following...

Restore old houses

Drywall installation, taping, plaster/skimcoat

General and finish carpentry,

Painting (mostly interior)

Ran a woodworking and guitar making business

General handyman type work

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Started working with carpentry when I was a kid. My Dad di most everthng himself and taught me well. Went into the Furnature Upholstery buis. for 27 years. If you can build and repair furniture to last you can build most anything out of wood. Many remodels and renovations through the years. Apartments, lofts, decks, sheds, too many to remember. Didn't take the plunge into the Remodeling business until last year. Still just a part timer but hopefully that will change very soon.
Love building things. Love making customers smile even more.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Whoo boy, I remember chipping mortar off of old brick at 5 or 6. Dad taught me to 'set' them too. We sold that house when I was 7 and a brick wall, patio and BBQ were done. We had built 2 homes by the time I was 13 then moved to the US. We built 2 more homes here and renovated quite a few homes and commercial blds. when Dad was killed. I went into the Navy. I then went to the City of Ft. Laud utilities dept. while completing college. Started on a residential watermeter install crew and worked my way up into the engineering dept. Leaving there, I went on a few years hiatus to pursue higher education all funded by the trades. I was a heavy equipment operator, carpenter, block mason, commercial fisherman, tractor trailer driver and even a roofer. This was mostly in Scotland so much of what was learned does not apply here. I worked many years as a salaried engineer, some more as a freelancer, owned six homes all of which were remodled, some quite extensively. I started my main business in '89 and have been at it ever since. I have also been 'flipping' for about 25 yrs. at 2.3 homes per year.
Add about another 40+ years to the pile.

·
SAGE
306 Posts
I started a month ago. Can anyone tell me what the steel loop on my tool belt is for? :eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
The steel loop is to hold your beer tap despensor.

Bob
Does that dispense beer taps? :cheesygri

·
SAGE
306 Posts
Beer tap, That makes sense.
I was useing it for long necks, only problem is, they only fit upside down and the beer made my leg sticky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts