Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my little brother start his fence building business. Does anyone know how I can find property lines and have og&e mark where their lines are at? And how to get building permits?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,487 Posts
Yes, I know the answers, but I'm going to have to ask you some.

Who are you?

In what state are you located?

Is you "little brother" licensed, and is he required to be?

How is it that you are starting a business, and don't know these very elementary answers?

Don't you think maybe he/you should get a bit more experience before going out on your own?

If you are the guy helping, and don't know this, what does he not know? :eek:

Delta

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I'm helping my little brother start his fence building business. Does anyone know how I can find property lines and have og&e mark where their lines are at? And how to get building permits?
Unless you can locate undisputed pins only legal way to establish property lines is with a survey.

Oklahoma Gas & Elec?....Out here we have USA...

Underground Service Alert, you call 48 biz hours before you dig and all parties are notified to mark their stuff at job site.

Building permits...apply for them...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for responding! I own a branding company in Oklahoma City. I've set up his LLC, he is taking a test on Monday that the city said him and the other guy working with him needs to take before they get a license. I've set his domain name and website up, and will be able to help him with his logo and advertising next week. I've also bought a truck and trailer for him, and am giving him money for tools or anything else he will be needing. I've gotten estimates on bonds and insurance, and will be finishing those on Monday.
He has been building fences for another fence company for two years, and the guy who will be his business partner has 15 years experience. They both know how to do everything fence building wise, how to do estimates and where to buy material, etc. The only things that they never handled was og&e lines and building permits. The man who owned that fence company that they worked for did all of that for them. My brother is also in OKC.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Three biggest issues in fencing are...

Property lines

Set backs

Height.

CC&R's can/may dictate styles/design and materials.

Check with city & county building & planning departments for fence regs.
and how to apply for permits.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,487 Posts
You need a surveyor to set property lines. You can find them in the phone book. Many Civil Engineering firms do surveys, also.

811 is, I believe, a nationwide service. It's called Undergroung Service Alert, or USA. There is a method of marking your proposed excavation with white paint before calling for the USA.

County or city building department is where you'll apply for building permits, based on whether the project location is inside city limits, or in county jurisdiction.

:thumbsup:

Delta

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
As for property lines, here is my advice.
If you hire a surveyor it will cost several hundred dollars. They will need to look for the pins themselves. Get a metal detector. A commercial one that finds iron. It will look like a long rod. Don't get a regular metal detector. It will find every little thing in the ground.
Go to the city/county and get all the lot measurements. Also get several adjoining log measurements. Don't go by the overhead pictures. The lines are laid down over the picutres and they are never right.
Try to find at least one corner pin. From there measure out the others. The reason you need several adjoining lots is because you might have to go down 2 or 3 lots to find a pin and then measure from there.
After you find the property pins. Verify with the neighbors that those are the property lines. It doesn't matter if you have the perfect surveyors pin located. There will always be a neighbor that thinks 3-4' of the yard is thiers.
Yes. I have been through this. I have seen several examples of people expanding their property over the years. I know of one property line that goes through a garage and another that is 3' inside a retial building. The job we were just on, there was a property pin, 6' inside a storage shed.
Good luck, bid high. A year from now they won't make as much as they think they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts