Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my first contract started this week. 12x32 timbertech t&g with vinyl rail and matching rail on the "flat" roof above.

didn't know the pic was gonna be that big, computers would be easier to use if they required a hammer!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can say that again! Although my last 2 days have been in the rain. Oh well, its funny when the homeowners think you're crazy as a bat for being out there in it.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I just hope you don't plan on ledgering to that bumped out CANTILEVERED window.

That's a big no-no.

I also hope you told them that they'll probably need to replace the decking you are going to install in 5-7 years. Not that it's bad, but I can tell you for a FACT that Floorizon does not work well in area with all those trees. The weep holes WILL clog and water WILL puddle. Mildew and mold will collect in the grooves. The boards will probably get wavy no matter how well you install them due to expansion and contraction.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
To clarify, I don't want to sound like an ass, but the OP is new, says this is his FIRST contract and from the looks might be in trouble already...hence my first post.

You only learn when people tell you things you didn't know....LOL...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I just hope you don't plan on ledgering to that bumped out CANTILEVERED window.

That's a big no-no.
Good eye Greg,

The cantilever is engineered for the weight of the bump out and no more.

You need to sister your joists onto the ones under the bump and sit them on the wall below. Flash accordingly.

Sure looks like he setting up to lag a ledger on. Maybe not though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice and good intentions.

Yeah its my "first" as in my own license and insurance. I've been "number2" for a few years letting someone else deal with the headaches of the business and happy to bang nails. Not anymore.

No there won't be anything hanging on the bumpout, running joists in to the sill.
The pic is about a half hour after setting the posts, haven't got everything else exposed yet.

5-7 yrs c'mon.
My experience is with cedar, this is only my 3rd Floorizon and haven't had any of these issues come up yet. My own deck put up 6 yrs ago and a friends deck 2 years ago. "Knock on composite" both have minimal if any noticeable changes in appearance.
That being said they both get lots of sun and few leaves!

I have had more problems with the vinyl railings, they hold water and mold up fast. This one will have some "custom" water drainage put in place so it will hopefully stay looking better with less mold.

Oh yeah CURAPA almost forgot, there will be a french door installed in the bumpout, coming out of the dining room.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The maybe not wins out then. Good to hear young man.:thumbsup:

Congrats on the job and best of luck with your new business.:clap:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I like this Guy! He reminds Me of....Me! Welcome a board:thumbup:

Damm man I have several TT T&G projects out,some of them did and some of them dident. I never have figured out why. The basic thing was the little edges curling up nothing else major. I close up the joints that is I dont let the weep holes show,goes against TT instru but I do it anyway cause the Wallet hates the look with em showing. On the one I left the things showing they did the same thing.

One thing about TT I had a job going came out with two different tints in the bundle,not real bad,but there just the same. TT rep came out gave two choices>> keep the material for free, we pick it up deliver with new stuff<< Now that is a stand up Co. Take a big jump on that one the Wallet took.

Far as the fukkkkeneng mold thing thats normal for most all man made. If the Wallet dont keep it clean its going to happen, in fact with a lot of contact dirt,leaves,dogs, things like that its going to happen anyway thats the nature of manmade product.

Go Get Em Bro. JonMon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts