Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An office contacted me and wants an estimate to hang 6 coat hooks.

In the email they say they don't know what's behind the drywall and want an 'expert' to do the job.

I don't have x-ray vision and so I'm thinking I don't know what's behind the wall either.

I have a decent stud finder with A/C warning and I can look around at where the electrical outlets are.

But I don't know if there's plastic water pipes behind there. And I don't know if it's wood or steel stud behind there.

Also with office jobs, I find that I often don't pick up a new 'regular' client.

I think that happens for various reasons, like they just call people off the internet each time and maybe a new secretary etc...

Another is that in an office building if you do hit something it's a disaster as lawsuits will follow etc, whereas with home owner at least get a chance to shut things off and make it good again.

I think I've just talked myself out of it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
zipits, wingits would be good choices.

find a couple of studs and hang a nice oak etc, 1x4-1x6 and mount your coat hooks....
That's exactly how we did it in our church.
Took a 1x8 mahogany and fastened that to the studs and then spaced nice brass coat hooks evenly down the line. Looks really nice.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You know what is usually in office partition walls? Nothing but sound insulation
I installed 75 4 hook coat racks in a large law office, made them in my shop and it took less than 10 min to install each including cleanup. I made a killing and got to trim out their conference rooms and make a trophy case for their awards after that.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I like to use an 1/8" tile bit, or even a piece of insulation rod for the first hole. Go easy and after you are through the drywall, (Which is usually 5/8" in commercial) quit spinning the bit and feel around in there for any weirdness. Wait, what were we talking about again?:laughing:

If it's a multi story office building, fire suppression pipes can be running vertically through the wall even if there is no plumbing in that room. DAMHIK :censored:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I do almost exclusively remodel work, and I will see if there is a bathroom behind a wall then drill through the drywall and then stop and plunge with the bit.
Its all about experience,
I can do this directly behind a shower or whatever. I know what I am feeling and can adjust accordingly.
If your not comfortable with this for sure you should pass

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I get these all the time. Gotta mount on wood pendants or pc 1x with a routed edge.

I use 1/8" x 6" drill bit to explore first, then zipits or similar.

This work is not full proof. Look around good. I've never had a problem. Have insurance and I usually look around for the main water shut off just in case.

I'll take as much comm work as I can get. Comm and multi family --- higher rate.

Two bathrooms behind these walls. Used my method -- 1/8" bit first --- then 3/8" for toggle bolt -- top hole of each flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
An estimate for (6) coat hooks ?

They wouldn't get an estimate from me. Here's my hourly rate, if you like I'll come take care of that for you. Cost will depend on what is there to anchor to and how long it takes to do it right.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,689 Posts
Mount on edge profiled board, I don't even check for pipes or electric, just use cut off finish nails or screws and some adhesive. If don't even bother to hit studs, just mount it where it works the best.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
An estimate for (6) coat hooks ?

They wouldn't get an estimate from me. Here's my hourly rate, if you like I'll come take care of that for you. Cost will depend on what is there to anchor to and how long it takes to do it right.
You couldn't give them a flat rate for 6 hooks? I'd probably just say I have an x number hour minimum....here it is...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Punching above his weight
9,224 Posts
If it were a large enough office, I would give away the 6 hooks for virtually nothing, then demand they call me for everything else.

This strategy and more can be found in my latest book, "How I Turned a $100 Window Caulking Job Into a $10,000 Painting Job."

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If it were a large enough office, I would give away the 6 hooks for virtually nothing, then demand they call me for everything else.

This strategy and more can be found in my latest book, "How I Turned a $100 Window Caulking Job Into a $10,000 Painting Job."
100 sounds pretty fair to hang 6 hooks...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
9,224 Posts
Yup. Nobody is going to mind $100 to solve a problem. You just made $100/hr and made a new customer.
Let's leave the written estimate out of this. Print up an invoice and hand it to them. Bada bing, baby!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts

What good is that if your not confident enough to avoid something like disconnecting the internet by unknowingly drilling into the dark fiber backbone, hidden in an office partion wall?:laughing:

·
9,224 Posts
I like living on the edge.

Some might pop up a ceiling tile or use a pilot bit. Not me. I go right for it. Nail gun. Let the chips fall where they may.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts