Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't happen often to me, but I just got a text from someone who wants some work done on his home. It's freakin 6 A.M. here! LOL gonna meet him at 7:30, glad that I am up early or I'd have missed this one.

You all get off-hours calls? BTW I do answer them all when they come in, most of the time they turn into jobs.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
I have no problem with evening calls, but 6AM ain't happening. :no:

Though I wouldn't have a problem with it, I've never had a client text me yet.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I get all of the above, I have no problem answering, the business I'm in you have to be available for emergency response.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I get them every once in a while. Doesn't bother me anymore, even though I might grumble at the time if I'm still in bed.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
all of the above, but at the wee hours of the AM....it had better be an emergency.
A life-or-death emergency. NOT "My big screen doesn't work!" or "The front porch light is out!"

·
Registered
669 Posts
I do restoration work, we get calls 24/7, and it sucks! The boss will try to put jobs off till tomorrow, if they come it after 6pm, and we do start at 7am, so just hope that the phone doesn't ring! The worst so far for me was 9:30 at night, 6 degrees out, and the WORST part of town in Pittsburgh!!! Got home A-LIVE bout 2 am LOL

·
Registered
683 Posts
If it's a potential job I will answer if it's a customer calling about a current job the I won't. I once had a customer who would text me every single night several times. After that I decided I would never let a customer text me again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to get quite a few, and at crazy hours when I did mostly residential work. Most of my work now is commercial for various agencies, so calls, emails, texts are usually between 9-5, unless there is an emergency. There was a guy I used to do work for years ago that had a habit of calling between 10:30-11:00 pm because he slept until 11 am and started his day then; this was a real estate broker by the way. He thought it was ok to call then, so I decided it was ok to call him at 5 am when I started my day. Needless to say, he did not take to well to that, but it ended the late night calls anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a client who would wait until sunday night to text me a list of "problems" on the job we had on friday and his text messages were the ones that were so long your phone had to break into three parts and the phone would go off three times. 9 times out of 10 I would stress all night get the job 7 am the next day he would be standing around waiting for us and then say "hey ya know I thought about it and its alright I guess i was over reacting" :bangin: Turned out to be a good client but just about gave me a panic attack every time his name came up on my phone even a year later when he asked me for a trade referal.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I use a Google Voice number so I have that ring turned off from 10pm-7am. I give my real cell number to current customers where I'm doing work that could, potentially, have a serious problem arise with the instructions that it is "emergency only".

I have one customer that just called AND emailed me on a Friday night at 8:30 about a small problem that had nothing to do with my work. I wasn't too happy about that.

I've learned to have a looong delay when responding to texts. People usually get the message that they need to call if it's important.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I never answer the phone after hours, and never call back after hours if a customer leaves a voice mail. I would if someone called with a true emergency, but that's never happened. I spend my evenings with my family.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
I have no problem telling people it is not appropriate for them to call me at certain hours unless it is an EMERGENCY. I dont feel anyone should. I dont call my subs or hands when they are at home eating supper. We deserve as much respect as we give a client. I wouldnt phone a client at weird hours. I have gone to a clients on Christmas Eve to trouble shoot a HVAC issue on a house I had just built, left the deer lease for a leak on a side of the house I didnt touch on an addition. Hell, I even patched it on a Sunday, although it wasnt warranty. Thats an emergency. No problem, part of the gig.

Texts or emails, I dont care when it is. I will answer when I am ready if it is not an emergency.

·
spazman
Flooring
779 Posts
Sometimes I get calls at odd hours. Seams like the only time someone who isn't a regular customer sends a text is when they want to cancel.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I get calls at night and weekends...if im awake I answer...many are plumbing emergencies, but most can wait a day or 2....I get most of them

no one calls me in the middle of the night....6am? sometimes...im up anyways

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't answer calls after I leave the job in the evening but most of my good customers know I'm up early in the morning and don't mind a call at 6:00am or so if it is necessary.They can leave a message any time which I will listen to and may call them back or not.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Last week, Sunday evening. Quarter 'till nine in the evening.
"Contractor" calls me and gives me the rigamarole about his floor guy isn't reliable any more, takes too long, blah, blah, blah.

I gave him rough prices (I'm in bed reading), and he says that's a bit more than he was paying his guy.

All I could say is "Call me when you get serious about it." and said good night. Nothing like a schmodo who is searching for the cheapest thing to start the next day.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'll answer a call almost anytime. I will answer a call on Sunday (though the phone stays in the van during services.) but if it's work related and not time critical, I politely ask them to call me on Monday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts