Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm fairly new to pipefitting. I've just passed my NCCER cert. test. But I've still got alot to learn. Today I was asked how to figure out the ordinates and cuts to make a 29.6 degree angle out of an existing 45.

The basic layout is not a problem, it's simple math. The trouble I'm having is figuring out the best way to find my centerline on each side of the elbow. I have a few ideas and theories but figured I'd put the question out here and see if one of the old veteran pipefitters may have a simplified method.

FYI I'm dealing with schd 40, 36" cs pipe/fittings

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this is an old question, but if I'm reading you right you just need to quarter the pipe?

Level the fitting, find top dead center with a center finder. You can quarter the pipe off that mark with ticker tape.
Or if the angle will allow just use the center finder.

JTMcC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to do by math, use trig. you said needed to lay out 29.6 fitting. sounds like you have the inside and outside arc dim. to find center line , take that 26.9 traingle, split it to make two right traingles with 14.8 degree angle. with trig. caculator punch in 14.8, sine ,times rad. of fitting. will give you lenght of leg, then times by two will give you the length dim. from end of fitting too the intersection of your centerline. not able to send att. with drawing send me your email and i scan that way.

[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts