Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a leather tool belt guy. I'm very weary about buying a nylon belt, but the fat lip system seems to fit my needs the best, out of any belt brand I have looked at. I have been searching for the past month! I am a union carpenter, and I work steady for a GC mainly doing commercial interiors. Mostly metal studs, drywall, casework, millwork, accoustical ceilings, doors &hardware, concrete, and I do alot of side work. My question is are these belts worth the money? Are they going to tear up like to Home depot and Lowes nylon belts? My current leather belt cost me around $100.00, this is more than double, what are your opinions? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nylon is way better than any cheeper bag I had before, they're not even in the same league
Great, Im looking for a bag to keep in the gangbox at work, and I will keep my current bag for sidework. Im going to order on here in the next month. The ol' lady is giving me trouble about it so I have to wait until I do this next side job....

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
Bag Fashion accessory Leather Handbag Material property

Here's the set I use, there not the fat lips. I didn't want the fat lips. These are lighter without all the leather. I'm all about weight these days and I will pay a premium for it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
overanalyze said:
I have this set in black. It took a month or two to break in the tape holder and get real comfortable. Mine are three years old now. I love them still.

Mine are just getting good, I sealed them in warm water as soon as I got them

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
that's why I was scratching my head haha. with my occis I loaded all of my tools in then slathered the leather holders with boot oil and it worked well. my CLCs are 100% nylon so I soaked them in a Spackle bucket of hot water for 3 hours

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to get the heritage fat lip I think that will work best for me I can keep 11/4" drywAll screws Two different pan heads and a long screw on me with easy access. Plus a chalk box I will be a happy guy

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had my occidental bags for about 12 years and am no where near needing to look for a new set. Not sure what line they are, but they are a combo of nylon and leather and have held up great. Then of course I take pretty good care of my tools and equipment and am very mindful of how I use them. At this pace though I should get another 10 years out of them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't trade my oxy-lights for anything. A couple guys have the fat lip system and it almost seems too big. They are always struggling to squeeze through the joists. I kinda like the "sagginess" of the non-fat-lip.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The occy strongholds are awesome
Bags. They even come with a pretty nice cell phone case that protects a smart phone very well.

My only downside on mine, and it may just be a regional problem. I sweat so stinkin much in the summer time that it corroded the rivets that hold on the suspended clips and they snapped off. I prefer to use the occy suspenders, and have tried using their retrofit loops, but they slide around too much.

Other than that, the bags are super comfortable. VERY durable and overall worth the coin.

I've had a guy go through three of those McGuire Nicholas depot bags, the $50 nylon ones in a 6 month period. He would keep arguing that he didn't want to spend the money on occys. The. He finally bit the bullet realizing that he was already 75% there with nothing to show for it in the cheap bags.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts