Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.this is my first post here.i was wondering if anyone here uses a belt free rig.i like the 2008 tool chest but there's no reviews on line an no one sells them locally.i really don't want to spend 200+ for something I don't know much about thanks in advise.

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
I dont think I could do belt less. I wear the 7 bag Occidental framers with all leather suspension. Bad ass rig.

I wore it most of the summer, and three years previous , trying to find time through the winter.

Reactions: Jerkelman

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Best bags in the history of the world right here

View attachment 100960
Are they really the best? :jester:

I saw a set in a hardware store in a little town we are working in. 200 bucks. I think it is a good deal considering they go for more on the website. I looked at them, but didn't see a speedsquare holder. Looking closer, I see it is between the bags.

I may need to pick these up. I need a good set. I'm tired of limping my crap set along. My concern was if the rivets holding the bags to the leather start to pull out and rub on your hip.

They also had a set with metal hook loops, I think the pro framer for 165. Any thoughts on these? Though I am a nylon bag fan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i own the strong hold Sistem with the belt less accessory and some cheap husky bags I'm really happy with the belt less idea I just need more storage and the tool chest looks like just enough storage.

Keep the opinions coming

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
VinylHanger said:
Are they really the best? :jester: I saw a set in a hardware store in a little town we are working in. 200 bucks. I think it is a good deal considering they go for more on the website. I looked at them, but didn't see a speedsquare holder. Looking closer, I see it is between the bags. I may need to pick these up. I need a good set. I'm tired of limping my crap set along. My concern was if the rivets holding the bags to the leather start to pull out and rub on your hip. They also had a set with metal hook loops, I think the pro framer for 165. Any thoughts on these? Though I am a nylon bag fan.
I've been using these bags for about, I want to say somewhere between 10 and 20 years. I honestly don't remember when I bought my first pair. I've never had a rivet come undone. The only thing that's an issue is it takes along time before that belt gets loose and comfortable. Ill bet you could expedite the process with a little oil though. I tried a new belt and ended up shelving it, and going back to my old one. My chisel tore a hole in one bag and I replaced it. They make an insert to remedy that though.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
My first Occidentals were close to 25 years old when they were retired.
Yes a few repairs were made &, hey Mike check this out, I wore them dam near every day....:thumbup::laughing:

In 2002 I did a commercial building for some friends. They thought I needed a new set of bags & bought me the beltless rig. It is a very high quality and durable set up.

You won't go wrong with any Occidental product....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,452 Posts
I tried the belt free rigs and didn't like em:no: I tried the suspenders and didn't like em:no: Give me a big fat belt and I'm good to work:jester:

Reactions: Calidecks

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have the beltless system and i hate it. reason being when you bend over to assemble walls the nailbags will slide up the suspenders and next thing you know your bags are up in your armpits

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Best bags in the history of the world right here
Have the same set in black! I have been wearing them for 3 years now and love them. My partner and our part time employee bought a set after me. Very comfortable. I don't think I could do the belt less set...but I would be willing to try a set if someone wants to send me my way...lol!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love my Occidental Drywall pouch. My only issue is my hatchet hanging in the holder chafes against the pencil and holesaw holders and looks like it is going to rub them raw. To the point that i somewhat keep my hand on my hatchet as i walk a bit...kind of annoying and worries me that it will rub a hole right through but other than that it is the best most ergonomically comfortable pouch ive ever used.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I have an hitachi rig I won at a contractor breakfast the only thing I don't like about it it is green, and caulk , glue paint you name it lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts