Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of occidental bags with my biden bucks. Your opinion fellow carpenters?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,698 Posts
I wouldn’t wear anything else.

Although I’ve never tried the Diamond Backs.

My electrical bags are CLC, and as good as they are the aren’t Occi’s. 👍

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love occies, I actually just got the artisans from DB

I still run an occidental trim pouch in the back, which is nice and wide mouthed to hold about 500 nails to keep me busy, the bags combines with the occie step child are still lighter than a standard set of occies and I must say are far more comfortable and offer better back support.

that’s my opinion as of a few weeks of owning the DBs

I’ve had my occies for 4 years now with no complaints, I only got the other bags out of curiosity and happened to prefer them

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Get them. Also make sure to give the front hammer loop a good try. Took about a week for me to remove the rear hammer loop off mine.

I was reluctant to spend the cash on them but they where the only left handed bags available at the time. Within a hour of having then I realized it was the right choice.

·
Super Moderator
24,325 Posts
My first set lasted over 25 years.

My new set, almost 20 yrs old, is the full suspender support and no waist belt.

Awesome bags...

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,029 Posts
My lead carpenter has a set of Adjust-to-fit Oxylight framers. He really likes them, but same as Stunt he thought he was limited by the fact that he is left handed. I have a custom (also left handed) rig from Badger now, and they weigh almost half as much as his Occi's, which already weigh half as much as my old leather belt from Task. I don't mind the tool layout he has, but man it took about 10 seconds to get used to a hammer holster and I'm never going back. Couple good choices out there these days!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another vote for the Oxy bags. I prefer the nylon over the leather, myself. I'm left handed too, and was able to go into the dealer and assemble my bags exactly the way I wanted.

Only thing I'm not stoked on is their harness. Feels like I'm constantly having to adjust it. My old man and many of the old timers around here all use a pair of suspenders that I love, purchased at a hardware store that's been out of business for years. Still looking for a used set...

·
Registered
176 Posts
My tool belt is like the old song where the guy built a car with parts from a Ford, chevy, Pontiac, dodge, etc. Had my tools stolen a couple years ago and a good belt wasn’t at the top of replacement. Bought a Oci knock off, quickly add a hammer holster from Diamond Back since my shoulder won’t reach behind anymore. Add some oci clip on bags when I need them. Newest splurge was the Oci strongback suspenders. I think these will outlast me. Extra points if you know the song I’m trying to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I just repair mine w/carpet needle & cat gut fishing line as needed. And of course add ons as needed. Ain’t out there for no look what I got contest, I’m out there to fatten the bank roll

Mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just repair mine w/carpet needle & cat gut fishing line as needed. And of course add ons as needed. Ain’t out there for no look what I got contest, I’m out there to fatten the bank roll

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know you old school guys are going to hate on this, but I’ve gone through many pouch set ups and I could never find the right set up or configuration until I saw this at Lowe’s. Tough built system. One belt with suspension and unlimited configuration. Left/right rear whatever. 10 pouch options, pouch for tape, driver, hammer etc... even can be removed via a clip to be swapped out with another or pull back out and pouch will stand by itself when your belt is in your way but you need a way to hold tape, screws, nails etc...
Bench mode we’ll call it. Check it

ToughBuilt - 4 Piece Builder Tool Belt Set - Includes 2 Rugged Pouches, Hammer Loop, Padded Tool Belt and 2 Patented ClipTech Hubs - (TB-CT-102-4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0144REWM...abc_0QY2WSV2F54TSC1Z3KGJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
GC
520 Posts
I know you old school guys are going to hate on this, but I’ve gone through many pouch set ups and I could never find the right set up or configuration until I saw this at Lowe’s. Tough built system. One belt with suspension and unlimited configuration. Left/right rear whatever. 10 pouch options, pouch for tape, driver, hammer etc... even can be removed via a clip to be swapped out with another or pull back out and pouch will stand by itself when your belt is in your way but you need a way to hold tape, screws, nails etc...
Bench mode we’ll call it. Check it

ToughBuilt - 4 Piece Builder Tool Belt Set - Includes 2 Rugged Pouches, Hammer Loop, Padded Tool Belt and 2 Patented ClipTech Hubs - (TB-CT-102-4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0144REWM...abc_0QY2WSV2F54TSC1Z3KGJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like a well thought out system. Have you used it long term? Do you have different pouches you use for different stages of framing?

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,029 Posts
My vote is for a pair of inexpensive Husky bags. They were like $50.00 with suspendies and a bra, but I digress.

They fit fine, are easy to adjust and when I blow through them I can pick up another set for about...wait for it...$50.00.

Andy.
I mean if that's what works for you, that's totally fine. I tried that route when I was younger, not only were tools in awkward spots for me, the bags never really lasted longer than 4-6 months (I know, it is well established I am incredibly hard on things). I went through 2 sets of cheap, box store nylons, then upgraded to a premium leather belt made by Task that lasted me over 8 years (much better ROI). Then to help my body out, I invested in a set of custom made Badgers. You get what you pay for, and tools are an investment, so are bags. Again, whatever works for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts