Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am patching and refinishing the oak flooring in my living and dining rooms, but leaving the fir hallways and bedrooms for another time. What would people recommend for where the oak flooring meets the fir? Threshold, butt together... etc.
I have french doors to a front room/guest room and an open hallway to the bath and 2nd bedroom (both these areas have fir). Doorway to the kitchen I will probably worry about in the future as I don't know what I will do for flooring in there.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
The different wood species have different physical properties and characteristics. That having been said, if your house is like many modern homes ie- temperature and humidity controlled year round, this should be less of a problem, bordering on a non-issue. If aesthetics is your concern you might consider a third species of wood as a transition- maybe a dark wood like cherry to bring attention to the transition.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
How do the materials meet? End to end or edge to edge?
If it's end to end or even end to edge I would worry much about expansion/contraction. Either way I would probably use a threshold - and try to route the threshold to accept the tongue of the oak (if it's oriented that way) so when you go to replace the fir you won't have to tear any of the oak out to get started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I am not too worried about the expand/contract issue. I know they are very different woods, but it has held up for over 90 years so I am going to make the leap and assume there is not much of an issue.

The wood meets edge to edge. In one spot I will probably just keep the butted fit that looks pretty clean. In the second location (dining to hallway) I had to patch a bunch of the oak so may put in a low profile threshold when I patch and finish the fir in the hallway (there was a BIG old heat register at this transition before).

When I decide on where the kitchen meets the dining room (butted ends fir to oak) I may lay in a nice piece of a third species to accent - thanks for the idea - I like it! (If I keep fir in the kitchen that is...)

-cb-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts