Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is bidding a small repair to a church entrance - some exposed oak beams, rafters and one post to a small roof covering on one of the entrances.

After he got similar quotes on the lumber needed,...7 pieces total, he asked if I could guess how much?

Material list is as follows;

1ea. 6x6x8
4 ea. 3x8x12
2ea. 3x5x10

All white oak S4S premium grade.

Anyone like to take a stab,...I'm personally still in shock :eek:

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet they are getting him for 10 bucks a board foot for that sized lumber.

That would be close to 1500 bucks.
$1,500 is exactly what I guessed.

We would be wrong :laughing:
low bid came in at

6x6x8...$864.00 ea
3x8x12...$976.00 ea
3x5x10...$518.00 ea

Total 5,804.00 + tax :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'm not surprised. Those boards go for veneer and engineered flooring.

Edit: I'm assuming "premium" which I think of as a flooring term rather than a lumber grade like FAS, means something like clear heart. It might be regional, but I never see oak hardwood lumber like that in large sizes.

Edit again: And anyway, the S4S is a complication - that's not an order for some lumber, it's an order for specific pieces finished to specific sizes. Darcy, if someone asked you for those pieces, ready for installation and finishing, in perfectly clear oak, what would you charge?

·
Registered
Remodel
32,244 Posts
I guessed $15 a BF. I could get a guy with a WoodMizer out to the wood lot and have this all rough cut to size for dirt. KD is a complication, but I'm pretty sure I could find one of the small operations that would KD and plane it for me. I doubt I'd be over $3 a BF.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I just looked up white oak S&B on my price sheet from my supplier. Everything but the 8x8 would run me under 8.25 bf. The 8x8 would be a little more.

If I had them dress the lumber to those sizes, it would only set me back about another 1.00 bf.

I do live in the land of tall hardwoods though.
My guess is that if he shopped for S&B his price would drop by more than half.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
There is more to this size lumber than just the cost of the oak by the bf.Think about the time it is taking up space in the kiln to dry.Still would be high around here but we have around 125 Amish cabinet shops around here.There is one hardwood storage facility here in town that moves 2m dollars a month of hardwood.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Superseal, tell your buddy to call one of these guys. They can save him a pile of money and make a thousand dollars, just by making a 10-minute phone call. Just as long as everyone's clear about what "premium" means, it seems like a no-brainer.

·
I like Green things
23,073 Posts
Hardwood lumber from the mill is never called premium until they mill to size.

Best you can get is select and better in the rough. Clear with no knots to speak of.

It does not take up more space in a kiln, it takes up less space then it would if was all 5/4 pieces.

Now it does take longer to dry which is one reason it jumps from 4.50 to over 8.00. A clear 8x8 takes a big tree to get that from as well.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My point was the drying time in the kiln and the thickness.This lumber is hard to some by in that size and takes a long time to dry.8/4 is about 1.5 times the price of 4/5 and the op is about 6" stuff.Takes a big tree to get clear lumber and a long time to dry.Not a lot of this around.It is premium stock and you pay for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Funny thing, everyone is talking about getting it and prices, where if I went to ANY place around here, they would just look at me and say: "you mean laminated?" :blink:

I would have to go out of state to get that kind of stuff.

Now Pine on the other hand...... Oh what, that comes from China now :rolleyes:

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
He be better off not ordering solid oak man build boxes to size outta ruff sawn boards. Those size boards are mantels an bar tops. Why the high price. Order ruff sawn around 12 boards will do all that. Best to get ruff sawn an plane them to save a few bucks. Project we are working on now made outta ruff sawn oak all u need is one good edge to work with an a decent planer to get it to workable size to make it look like real beams.
Guy recently wanted a bench seat outta walnut. The price for the thick lumber was outrageous. Know what we did boxed it around 2x4 an Gave it same look. For half the cost.
The price comes from rare sizes an time allowed for drying/plane an storage u could call a portable mill but tree gonna cost a fortune + dude to cut it up an dry time/plane. Better off replacing structure with pine an wrapping with oak

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
I could probably get 16/4 at a huge premium here. Funny thing is all the railroad ties I had in my yard were solid oak 8x8, however they stunk like creosote. I feel bad for whoever had to drive those spikes into the 8x8 oak, that must have been a job for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts