Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New program for NYC:

"Michael Bloomberg on Monday called on designers to come up with a proposal for a Manhattan apartment building made up mostly of "micro-units," defined as rentals with 275 to 300 square feet of living space."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/us/new-york-microunits/index.html

Seems like many RV designs fit into this foot print. I seem to recall Ikea did something similar in Sweden or some place.

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smallest 3/4 bath I saw used an institutional toilet / sink combo (wall mount) in a custom tiled shower enclosure. You sit on the toilet seat top to shower, and the water from washing your hands fills the tank for flushing the toilet. I bet it wasn't more than 45" square.

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
you could be brushing your teeth while sitting on the bowl! and rinsing your feet too! lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
Those interested in NYC Micro Apartments might also be interested in this collection of photos from Michael Wolf:

100 x 100
(Click on the first thumbnail to open up a window with the full image, then just keep clicking the image to move on to the next image - similar to Facebook albums.)

One Hundred 100 sq. ft. apartments.
Photographs of residents in their flats in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
Custom
12,564 Posts
New program for NYC:

"Michael Bloomberg on Monday called on designers to come up with a proposal for a Manhattan apartment building made up mostly of "micro-units," defined as rentals with 275 to 300 square feet of living space."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/us/new-york-microunits/index.html

Seems like many RV designs fit into this foot print. I seem to recall Ikea did something similar in Sweden or some place.
The quote that stuck out to me was "The units will likely be priced under $2,000 a month, which is the average market rent for a studio apartment in Manhattan"...

$2000 is enough for a $375,000 mortgage at today's rates (a $450K house with 20% down)... and it would be a heck of a lot bigger... and I suspect more female-friendly...

Could you imagine bringing a lady friend back to that place? Imagine her thinking... what? did you run out of money? Where's the rest of it?... or... if his HOUSE is that small... :eek: :laughing:

·
Vendor
77 Posts
And I thought my first NY apartment was small...

This reminds me of a news clip I saw a while back. This apartment is only 90sqft...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU

Its like a dorm room.
I wonder if this lady knows that she is renting out the broom closet? Is there even a bathroom? If not, sure sign she is living in a closet...anything to live in NYC I guess...

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew people who took the express train into NYC every day from west of Philly. An hour each way, then they had to ride the subway to get where they were going. Still better than driving.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
And I thought my first NY apartment was small...

This reminds me of a news clip I saw a while back. This apartment is only 90sqft...

Its like a dorm room.
Well she's not getting very busy in that bed:laughing:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
i saw on tv that Farbman has done great work in this area:thumbsup:

So.... you decided to bail in the other thread :surrender: and come over here and cause trouble? :laughing:

Sorry OP.... :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
38 Posts
apts

Those interested in NYC Micro Apartments might also be interested in this collection of photos from Michael Wolf:

100 x 100
(Click on the first thumbnail to open up a window with the full image, then just keep clicking the image to move on to the next image - similar to Facebook albums.)

One Hundred 100 sq. ft. apartments.
Photographs of residents in their flats in Hong Kong.
OH MY ... They don't even have a window!!! YIKES!

Bernie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts