Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are new to residential roofing and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

What is the optimum number of crew members. Our jobs will average the following:

30 Squares, Single Layer tear off, less than 7/12 pitch

30 Squares, Single Layer tear off, 12/16 pitch

We are in the process of hiring crew members and beleive we will want a Crew leader, Installers, and Men to supply Installers and clean up.

Our thoughts are: 1 Crew leader/Installer, 2 Installers, 2 Men to Supply and Clean Up.

What can we expect to pay per day or per Square for workers?

Let us know your thoughts.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Not a roofer but have seen a lot of roofs go on in the last 6 mos. 5 man crews seem to be the most popular for the size roof that you are describing. Most are doing tearoff to completion (shingles) in one long day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the jobs you are talking about we would usually use a 5-6 man crew. 3 or 4 guys running guns, and the other two guys would be the go-fers (stocking shingles, moving jacks, cleaning up, etc.). I agree with Grumpy that 5 guys on a 20sq or less job do get a little cramped. When you are on a small roof like that there just isn't enough room.

·
Registered
83 Posts
5 man crew is what we find optimum. 5 guys doing half tear off, 2 jumping onto laying shingles and nailing, 1 jumps onto any cuts and measuring, and the other 2 finish tear off of otherside and then nailing their half. (gable style)

The 1 person who cuts/measures is basically the foreman of the group.

Everyone cleans together, 2 man crews are responsible for shingle hauling if we don't get them delivered to the roof.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
There are many ways to figure a crew size requirement. Figuring a crew cost..
Using a specific crew size..
Let's say 20 sq at 100 / sq = 2000 total cost (theoretical numbers)
Let's say 3 guys working @ $448 / day (crew cost) - should take you 4 days.
OR.. a specific time schedule
Let's say 3 days.
12 guys at 7 sq / day
OR.. maybe additional crews
assuming 7 sq / day with the same 3 guys as original
we would need 1.5 (i.e. 2 crews)

There are many other ways to figure it based on cost with RS Means Labor % or man day production rates with RS Means. I don't care for RS Means for estimating but their labor % are usually good enough to work up crew size.

Give me your bare labor costs for each of your workers and a guestimate on duration you would like to hit. I'm pretty sure my numbers will be right in line with what the others have said here - but it can't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts