Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 solid weeks of no calls and no work this summer and now it is 2 weeks until deer season and snow is in the air.

The phone won't stop ringing with people that "need it done before winter".

Dammit people, I appreciate the work, but it's getting cold out, where were you when it was t-shirt weather.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
That's every fall for me. Has been since I started.

"Oh yeah that chimney needs doing before it gets cold"

"geez i don't want to pay for heat to get brick on this house"

and it goes on and on. I make probably 1/3 of my money for the year between mid October and x-mas, makes x-mas a little easier that's for sure.

Get some insulated tarps and a heater and watch the money roll in

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Not hunting is my competitive advantage.
I gave up hunting just for this reason. No time and paying bills is more important than chasing bambi through the woods. I do carry my pistol everywhere and every now and again i knock one down with that going to or from work and once now on the job site. There are some benefits to living and working in the sticks on seasonal homes :thumbsup:.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
That's why I'm glad to be an indoor finish guy. My phones been blowing up as well & I've been straight up honest with em when they call. "I'm taking 2 weeks off to hunt, if I'm successful early, I'll work you in earlier, no promises. " Pushing everything back until Thanksgiving week & beyond.December is gonna have us slammed, because I've promised a lot of finished projects by Christmas.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not hunting is my competitive advantage.
Might have to be mine this year, I am less concerned about hunting though than I am about finding help.

Everyone's phone will be mysteriously broken for a few weeks.

I can't miss opening weekend though, I have friends that come over to hunt with me. Deer hunting seems more like a chore each year though. I will stick to ducks for the majority of my time in the woods.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is how it always happens. You go go go for a while then it dies down, and then your working on your last job knowing that at the end of the month when your done, you have no contract in line then all of a sudden booom you get one call, then you get the next and so on and so forth and all of sudden your so busy and everyone want yesterday not tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts