Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First project, we milled & installed maple treads & painted risers. My wife had to do her best at making the maple look like brazillion cherry. The client felt like she nailed it. She was about 80% satisfied with the color.

Attachments

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second half of the week, found us in Illinois, working on the 1800's victorian. Same home as the front porch handrails in the other thread. This is the stairway leading to the basement. I was initially intimidated by having to do so much sculpting, but it wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be. Still took me all day to install. It was in the 100's temp wise here this week, so I was thankful to have this indoor project. 65 degrees in the basement.:whistling

Attachments

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
How did you address the end grain cut from the moisture of the stone wall??

Stairs look awesome by the way

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Very nice, Pin:thumbup:

Scribe job looks real sweet :thumbsup:

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys use inside skirt boards up their? nice work

If they wanna drop the extra coin, or if the sheetrock isn't nice enough to get by without skirts, then yeah, we skirt. Really depends on what the client wants it to look like. I gave these folks the option of doing skirts, but their budget was tight.

The stairs that are scribed to the stone, the other wall is skirted. Just didn't get it in the pics.

·
Vendor
77 Posts
Second half of the week, found us in Illinois, working on the 1800's victorian. Same home as the front porch handrails in the other thread. This is the stairway leading to the basement. I was initially intimidated by having to do so much sculpting, but it wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be. Still took me all day to install. It was in the 100's temp wise here this week, so I was thankful to have this indoor project. 65 degrees in the basement.:whistling
Amazing! Though looking at all your pics as I scrolled down made me think of the M.C. Escher's Relativity painting of stairs...haha. Great job

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice work
how much of a PITA was all the scribing?
It was about half as bad as I had anticipated. I put a lot of thought into how I was going to do it, before I ever started. I went to hobby lobby & got a bunch of poster board. Made a template for every tread & every riser. I left the skirt board off the opposite wall until after all the treads & risers were fit so I didn't have to fight putting them in & out multiple times. A jig saw & 4" grinder with a sanding head & lots of dust in the eyes. Crap had a way of getting around my glasses with the swirling wind.:mad:

·
Banned
138 Posts
First project, we milled & installed maple treads & painted risers. My wife had to do her best at making the maple look like brazillion cherry. The client felt like she nailed it. She was about 80% satisfied with the color.
Where is you continuous handrail? Is that a code requirement in you area? I thought you would continue the rail on the left side instead of crashing it into the roset

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is you continuous handrail? Is that a code requirement in you area? I thought you would continue the rail on the left side instead of crashing it into the roset

#1, I didn't do the rails, just the treads & risers. The GC that hired me done all the finish work other than the stairs & floors.

#2, It's a historic home built in the late 1800's, so I'm not sure code came into play since nothing structural was altered.

·
Banned
138 Posts
#1, I didn't do the rails, just the treads & risers. The GC that hired me done all the finish work other than the stairs & floors.

#2, It's a historic home built in the late 1800's, so I'm not sure code came into play since nothing structural was altered.
good work! Your right historical restorations some times have loop holes. It depends on the inspector.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts